“Great doughnuts and prices, but every trip is a gamble”
Review of Stan's Donut Shop

Stan's Donut Shop
Ranked #1 of 16 Dessert in Santa Clara
Reviewed 9 July 2017

I've been to Stan's several times and there's no doubt the doughnuts are excellent, and the prices are great. I particularly like the jam (jelly) filled doughnuts and the buttermilk doughnuts, both of which are a very generous size and not at all expensive.

On my last visit there was some sort of weird serving system where some people were being given tickets to wait for their orders to be prepared while others were just being served--in hindsight I suspect it had something to do with the size of the order. At the time I wasn't sure whether it was like a deli counter where I was supposed to get a ticket and then wait, or what was going on. There were no signs indicating what was going on, and the staff weren't providing any guidance either. There's not a lot of queuing space so it was unclear where I was supposed to be to place my order. As it was I stood behind some people with tickets for a while before I realised they'd already been "served", and then a couple of us were at the counter at the same time unsure or who should be getting served.

The other peeve I have is that it's hard to know when to go--sometimes I've been soon after opening time to be told the jelly doughnuts haven't been made yet; a couple of hours later and they're sold out. I've also been early afternoon only to find there are no doughnuts left at all.

I guess it's up to them how they run their business and I guess they're making enough money for them to be happy with the way things are, but you'd think if you're open until 3 PM and sold out of one particular type of doughnut by 9 AM that you might consider making more, and if you're selling out completely a couple of hours before closing that perhaps you should consider making more to start with.

As such, I generally prefer to go to Psycho Donuts which is open later and ensures there is a good selection available throughout the day, even if I consider the product and prices at Stan's to be better.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Stan's is the best place to go for donut in all of the San Jose Santa Clara area. Daily fresh hot donuts, dripping in sugar! From classic old fashions to apple fritters, they have them all, even the small donut holes! Good coffee too.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Believe the hype: These are hands down the best glazed donuts I've ever had! Place has a nice classic feel as it looks like to have been frozen in time from the 1950's. Wait staff is very friendly and helpful. Coffee was only slightly better than most donut shop coffee but that is forgivable considering the fresh baked deliciousness.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

When people bring in donuts to work people are generally happy. but when people bring in Stan's donuts to work, people are over the top happy and so grateful. If the donuts are still warm (regular glazed) then people go absolutely crazy. This is not an exaggeration. I have eaten a lot of donuts in my life from many different places. These are hands down the best I have ever had.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

If you want a treat try one of Stan's raised, glazed donuts. They're warm, delicious and melts in your mouth. There is always a line of people waiting for the donuts to finish cooking. Make sure you buy extra, they are that good. I've also had their apple fritters fresh out of the fryer. Yummm...