“Hidden Gem! Great Staff!”
Review of Palapa Restaurant

Palapa Restaurant
Ranked #223 of 585 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We found this restaurant on Google and decided to try it for breakfast. The parking lot is small and easy to miss, but once we parked we walked up to a Senora making homemade tortillas on the patio! Once we sat, they served us hot chips and delicious salsa. We ordered our drinks, then the Senora that was making homemade tortillas brought us warm quesadillas with those tortillas along with some yummy green salsa. All our ordered food was great too! The "lemonade" was a bit lacking though. Horchata was delicious. Best part of our visit? Our waiter. He was one of the best waiters we've ever had. Attentive, present, and super-friendly. All-in-all? GREAT ATMOSPHERE and FOOD!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Good homemade tortillas. Went with the family for breakfast after spending g y e night at Chumash. Original plan was to go to Solvang but that was packed so we stopped here on the way home. Food was good and priced decent. There's a tragic story about what happened next door. Staff was friendly and fast.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Watch for the entrance, because the construction next door makes it hard to see. Lot's of parking in back. They have an extensive seafood menu and there was no holding back on the portion size. A true "south of the border" restaurant with friendly, quick, service.

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

In town to visit my in-laws and they introduced us to this fabulous family oriented Mexican restaurant. I had the fish tacos that were excellent, the shrimp salad was extremely good the service was exceptional. The serve was so inviting and told my daughter that she could have any meat in her quesadillas with no extra charge and was real good to work with. I highly recommend stopping in to experience this smaller family owned restaurant!

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

I saw pretty good reviews so we decided to take a chance. First off, very hard to find even for a local, signage is poor and parking is horrendous. The patio seemed nice. Only beer and wine served, no margarita's... only wineritas. Mariachi band advertised at 6:30 Friday nights... we wanted time to talk before the music started, so got there at 5:15... music started at 5:30... no talking over those horns.

I had been craving a good chimichanga for awhile, so it is what I ordered. It was $10.75 so I hoped it was good. It was disgusting. The beef was flavorless, chewy, and mostly gristle... poor choice of meat used.
It had been deep fried in old, stale oil and was put on my plate still dripping the nasty, rancid oil. Tasted horrible! Rice and beans in chimi also flavorless... tiny scoop of guacamole was ok... nothing special, and big glob of flavorless sour cream (color and texture or mayonnaise). I ate 1/2 of it, as no one cared to check on us once food was served... I couldn't even get a refill of my tea... By the time I got home my stomach was in knots. Shortly after I was throwing up. I don't recommend the Chimi. My mom had a sampler to try a few things and take home leftover food to her boyfriend. It all looked ok, she said the sauce that was on everything was not very good. My daughter's Carnitas wet burrito was good she said.... I just feel if I'm spending $20 per person for food, it should be decent. Taco Bell was better. Plus we had to leave to have the conversation we wanted because the band, while good, was loud and early.

I don't recommend this place....