“A Nice Coffee Shop”

Cody's Cafe
Ranked #90 of 580 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Voted "Best Family Restaurant" and the local's favorite in Santa Barbara, CA.
Reviewed 3 August 2018

We ate at Cody’s based on location and TA reviews. The restaurant had ample parking in part of a strip mall area. There was indoor and outdoor seating and it was pretty busy at 11:15. We had a choice of breakfast or lunch and choose lunch ordering the open faced tri tip sandwich and the turkey and bacon sandwich. The tri tip was very tender and ample quantity. Our server was pleasant and attentive. The prices seemed a little high but the food tasted good. We would return at a future time.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

Went with local relatives for breakfast on a Sunday morning at 10:45. After a short wait we were seated inside as requested and at a booth. Waiter and coffee server were attentive. The other three ordered a veggie scramble, protein scramble and an omelette, served in a reasonable amount of time, however my measley mechanical order ( a plain waffle made in a waffle maker) came ten minutes AFTER they got their orders. I had requested that it be well done as I like a crisp texture. After the ten minutes he came and delivered it and it looked ok. When cutting into it however, the underside was barely cooked and was soft and spongy. Told the manager I wasn’t able to eat it ( I did take two bites out of one of the halves ) and he took it and said they wouldn’t charge us for it. This after waiting ten minutes mind you!
Not sure if this was a waiter misunderstanding ( but when I asked where my order was after five mins. he replied that he knew I wanted it well done) or was it the mistake of the cook in the kitchen missing the fourth order on the slip. Oh well, I tasted the hash browns made crispy which were great!
But servers had smiles and coffee was refilled three times without asking. Large open dining room with approx. 6-7 tables outside under a canopy but 20 feet from the parking lot. Good for kids (strapped into something) as inside it gets annoying. Like this day, hearing several ear piercing shrieks from next to us in a large corner booth and only heard parental encouragement to one of 3 kids who was creating the noise. Otherwise fine with me for a good time out in a family restaurant but screams and shrieks should not be ok with parents. Sometimes people go out for a nice Sunday breakfast and don’t plan on the people behind you laughing at the shrieks. I am a grandma and love children but not their public behaviors that infringe on the rights of others. Guess they are using their rights to parent their way ? My choice could be not to go to a large restaurant where there may be other parents like these parents. Or I could have asked them to ask the child to be quiet or could have worn earplugs.
Anyway I digress. Cody’s is a popular place and everyone appeared to like their morning out!

Gave it one less star than my party would have given them, but it was my soggy waffle and it is my review!

Reviewed 28 July 2018

With all the cars in the parking lot, we thought we might have discovered a good cafe. Not so much. Our french fries needed to be sent back as they were under cooked and grease laden. The second plate was good and tasty. The turkey dip sandwich was missing meat and the ranch salad dressing was as thin as milk. It was just so very average. The staff were efficient and friendly.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

The service was very friendly, the menu was very large, the restaurant was busy with locals, and our omelettes were great. We were both quite pleased with Cody’s Cafe.

Reviewed 13 June 2018

Cody's has a back room which they set up for our monthly lunch meeting with one very long table plus other small tables around the walls. We bring a projector and screen, which we set up.

This place works great for our lunch meeting. The room is private and away from loud noises and the general lunchtime hubbub, off to the right of the bar as you come in the door. The location is easy to find, and the food is fine, too.

The service is more than excellent. The waiter is willing to give each person their own separate check. The menu has something for everyone, with a good selection of salads, burgers, soups, pastas and other lunchtime fare. I've had fish & chips, a veggie burger, Caesar salad, a chili bowl and other dishes, and I've never been disappointed. The food is not exotic, but I appreciate the variety so that everyone can find something they like on the menu.

The restaurant is busy, so a lot of other locals in this area must be enjoying Cody's, too.