“Clean and comfortable”

Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Hawaii
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We were only in Santa Barbara 1 night and the Castillo Inn was perfect. The price was reasonable for SB and te room was great. It reminded me of old stye Southern California. The room was very spacious and immaculate. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom clean and up to date. There were a lot of special touches that made the room feel welcoming and homey....like the super plush towels and the decor. The faux painting gave the room a serene feel. It is a motel, though, so be aware that you park steps from your door, but despite this, the hotel was quiet and we had no difficulties sleeping. The location was close to te beach, wharf and Brophy Brothers - a fanastic seafood restaurant. It s a longer walk to the happening part of State St., but not undoable if you don't mind walking.

Room Tip: We had the 2 queen presidential with a patio, table and chairs. Lots of space and worth the extra f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Treetop_67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Chester, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This was my fall-back option for accomodation in Santa Barbara. When I knew that our other choices weren't going to work out, I called Cabrillo Inn. The woman who picked up was very friendly and helpful. I only needed a room with one bed, but they were all booked up. So she said I could have a room with 2 beds at the price of 1 bed. So I booked it.

We arrived early, and they let us check in, but when we went to the room they were still cleaning it, so we went out to explore instead. When we got back later I tried turning on the tv (which was advertised as having free HBO). The tv would turn on, and we could hear the channel, but there was no image- just all black. I figured maybe after a few minutes the image would come on, nope. Called the front desk, a girl came to look at it, and tried fiddling around with it but nothing worked. She said she would get her father (who is the owner). As soon as her father walked in the image appeared. OK. That's great. Only took about 20-30 minutes though! (And I didn't see the HBO channels anywhere)
We slept well here, it was a comfortable room, and beautiful bathroom!
But, in the morning I tried turning on the tv again, and the same situation! ARGH! We left to go find breakfast- they have a free breakfast. Well, breakfast was some small muffins (banana was good), icky looking fruit, store-bought danishes and juice. Not very filling at all.
When we went to check out we told them about the tv again (which they just said oh, that's weird). Then the girl pulled up our check out info and said that we owed more than the girl on the phone said. I questioned her, and she said, well you stayed in a room with 2 beds, and this is the rate for the 2 beds. What the heck?! So we got charged more than we were told we would be. That left me feeling bitter about the place. At least it wasn't a whole heck of a lot of money though (Santa Barbara accomodations are very expensive and this place is a good deal).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Wife and I stayed here on our way down the coast to L.A. The Castillo Inn was a great place to stay for the price. Rooms were clean, had suprisingly nice furniture and decor. If you are visiting Santa Barbara, or just on your way through, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coug9
Nashville
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This hotel was a winner; it is just one block from the water, extremely clean, light, and comfortable, and with some very nice individual touches, like the mosaic on the bathroom walls, the brass shower knob, and especially the separate faucet with purified drinking water. All this for a place that cost much less than every other hotel in the area. I cannot say enough good things about the owner: after I left my charger in the room by mistake, he called me within an hour of me checking out to let me know. The neighborhood is quiet, despite being flanked by a number of other hotels; I strongly recommend The Brewhouse for its beer, which is just four blocks away, but State Street is only a safe and easy 15-minute walk away. My only complaint would be the wi-fi connection, which is included but is a little slow. But I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank soocer_nut
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We only had one night in Santa Barbara and following reviews we decided to book here. Dan was exceptional, he was incredibly friendly and helpful and gave us some good tips about places to eat and drink. The hotel/motel is very clean, the bed was comfortable and being able to park outside the room was great. Having stayed in a number of hotels in the US over the last couple of weeks, I would rate this as number 1 value for money. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple