“Great experience-would do it again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cabrillo Inn at the Beach

Cabrillo Inn at the Beach
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Oceanside
“Great experience-would do it again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2008

I thought the views were spectacular, the staff was friendly, the pool was warm, the beds were comfortable, and the room including the bathroom was very clean and homey. I wish I had gotten up earlier so that I could have watched the sun rise over the ocean! The location is awesome-close to the best Santa Barbara has to offer, especially the beaches. The continental breakfast had quiche, ham and cheese croissants, scones, bagels, muffins, danishes, toast, a variety of fruit juices plus coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. It ended up being a free brunch for us. You don't need a coffee pot, its so close and people just walk over in their pjs.
The staff were accomadating when I asked to check out an hour later. The price is very fair for Santa Barbara. We had no complaints and frankly I'm a little baffled by the ratio of complaints to satisfied customers. I definitely want to stay there again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bandmom3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
southern california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2007

Need I say more? I paid $200 a night to get bedbug bites. I will not stay there again and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — I received bedbug bites.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank traveloften2009
TonySantaBarbara, Managing Partner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 25 November 2007
In response to the complaint dated October 9, 2009 concerning bed bugs, we do not have on file for this or any other year any complaints about bed bugs except for a guest who stayed with us on October 4, 2007 for 3 nights and departed on October 7, 2007. The only communication from this guest was a telephone voice mail message left for the Manager soon after their departure. This message was responded to in a timely manner and I personally returned her call and discussed the situation with her. The guest was in a room with two queen beds for 3 nights. Their children were in one bed and the parents were in the other bed. The female guest stated that it was her husband that was bit and that he was the only one in the room that was bit. I asked the guest if they informed the front desk about this situation and she said they did not (as explained in the next sentence). She did inform me that he did not know he was bit or had evidence of being bit until apparently later that night on October 7, the day of their departure. No complaint was filed while they were at our Inn according to our 3 front desk agents that have worked here for many years. Since there was no complaint at our Inn while they were here we did not have the opportunity to immediately inspect the room and take immediate action if necessary.

The same room that these guests were in was occupied for 3 nights (same guest) prior to their arrival and two different guests occupied this same room the 2 nights after they departed. These prior and post guests stayed in this same room without incident.

When I listened to the guest’s phone message approximately 3 days after she left it, I immediately had my maintenance and housekeeping staff completely take apart the room. They did not find anything or any evidence that any bed bugs were in the room.

The Cabrillo Inn at the Beach’s maintenance department personnel routinely inspects our rooms for these types of situations and others. We have trained our housekeeping staff to look for these situations, each and every time they perform housekeeping on a room, regardless if the room service is a check out, make or change. We have not encountered any pests except for an occassional fly that gets into the room when the door is left open. We also have a professional pest control company provide monthly service to the buildings and property exterior.

Based on our experience of operating this Inn for the last 31 years, it is possible for guests to pick up similar types of pests that can bite, either across the street at the beach (sand flies) or while out in town.

It is possible that the guest was bitten by any number of pests while they were not at our Inn or while they were on their way home.

In summary, regardless whether you pay $50 or $500 for a room, the existence of bed bugs at any establishment is unacceptable and if a guest encounters this it should immediately be communicated to the front desk for immediate attention. The Cabrillo Inn at the Beach has been and will continue to be committed to resolving any guest’s issues or complaints when they are communicated to us in a timely matter. We also are committed to keeping a clean and comfortable place for our guests to enjoy.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Minnetonka, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2007

Great hotel! Rates were reasonable, and the location was great. Right across the road from the beach, great views from the room and adjacent sundeck. The staff was also very accomodating and helpful. The rooms were nothing fancy, but were very clean and perfect considering we wanted to spend more time outside than in the hotel. I would definitely stay here next time in the area.

• Liked — Location, Price, Staff
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JP03
Monrovia, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2007

Was already not sure about staying there, as I had read the reviews-and most were not favorable, but since our stay was only for a few days, I thought I could put up with almost anything for a short amount of time. The famous "Victor", whom I heard was a "terror!", was out of town, so I felt relieved for that. There was an employee who said-"you don't want to meet him!" The room we were in had little security, as I'm used to hotels with doors that lock! This one only had sliding glass doors, on which the screen part had a broken lock, and there was only one lock on the glass door. We felt very unsafe! There were no ammenities, i.e., coffee pot, iron, hair dryer, etc., just a refrigerator-which helped. One night there was a little kid staying above us who's parents were apparently not controlling him at all-so I had to call the desk to complain. Next day, they left-thank goodness! The toilet was oozing some "green" stuff, the T.V. remote didn't work, so we had to keep going back and forth to the T.V to change channels. I've never heard of a hotel staff leaving at 11:00 p.m., leaving guests to fend for themselves! I've learned my lesson. I had my reservations about this place, and I should have listened. Next time I'll stay where the service is what I'm accustomed to.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank TravellingGal-7
CabrilloInn, Managing Partner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 16 May 2007
We understand that not everyone is going to be completely satisfied with
their stay regardless of where they stay. But when false accusations are
made we feel that we
have the duty to respond. The Cabrillo Inn at the Beach has been owned and
operated by the same family for over
30 years or since 1976. The Inn is staffed 24 hours a day either by the
front desk or the night manager after closing.
In response to the security
issue all rooms have properly working and locking doors with all wood doors
having an additional security lock latch.
This guest was in a room with a sliding glass door which is a 3 point
locking system and is standard in the industry. Screen doors do have locks
but they are not for
security purposes. We do not keep hair dryers or irons in the
room, but they are available at the front desk. Guests can call the
front desk and we will promptly bring whatever they need. There are no
coffee makers in
the rooms, coffee is served with our continental breakfast from 7am to 10am
and if the guest
would like to take coffee back to their room we have coffee carafes.
The office does close for reservations and check ins at 11pm with a night
manager available by dialing 0 for emergencies or
any other issue needing immediate attention from 11pm to 7am. If there is a
problem any time of day or night we
are available for the guest. In our experience, many times people do not say
anything negative
during there stay, but after they check out they voice there complaints then
with some requesting a discount for their issues that we had not been
informed of. For us to better serve our guests we
encourage them to call the front desk any time they need anything. Batteries
do go out in TV remotes and
we will replace them immediately. Most of the problems associated with this
review I am
responding to could have been taken care of in the matter of minutes, but
the guest chose not to ask for help. As far as green stuff oozing out of the
toilet this should have been immediately communicated to our front desk and
our maintenance personel would
have adressed this and corrected this problem. We have never had this
toilet problem occur in operating the Inn for
over 30 years. We have a loyal base of returning guests that continues to
grow and we stive to make all guest stays an enjoyable and memorable one.

Thank you for your help in this matter,

Victor Evarone
Managing Partner

Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2006

We loved it. It's right across the street from the beach and has views from some rooms and the pool area. Our room was very clean as were the public areas. The pool was warm and the bed was firm. Breakfast was very good: ham and cheese croissants, bagels and cream cheese, apple pie, and pastries. The staff was friendly and efficient. The 25 cent trolley takes you to the zoo, the East Cabrillo playground, the Carousel, the Marina, and State Street where there are more shops and restaurants than you could visit in a week. We ate at El Paseo, a mexican restaurant in an historic building with a roof that slides open so you can see the stars. We paid only $109 for Saturday and $79 for Sunday--great off-season rates. (The Motel 6 right behind the Cabrillo was charging $99 for the same nights.)

• Liked — Close to the beach and State Street
  • Disliked — Close to the road
  • Tips/Secrets — Travel off-season