“Perfect Brunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Girlfriends and I met another friend for brunch on a recent weekend trip here. Delightful little place tucked away off State St. The food was very good and the bacon was thick and cooked perfectly. Very casual and dog friendly. Suggest reservations as it appeared to be very crowded with several people waiting for a table. We dined outside in a beautiful morning. I highly recommend the Bloody Mary!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Went for brunch and it was full, expected , just about 12pm
She said the wait for outside will be about 35 minutes, she took my # and said she’ll text as soon as a table was available.
Went to the BENCHMARK around the corner and after 40 minutes we ordered there and had a great experience!!!
(Is about 3pm now and never got a text !)

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank Rodolfo I
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Scarlett Begonia has become our favorite place for lunch in Santa Barbara. This wonderful restaurant just off of State Street offers both indoor and outdoor dining. They have great food (we especially like the Kale Cesar Salad with a poached egg), great breads (we enjoy a biscuit with our salads and usually buy a fresh-baked bread to take home), and terrific service.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

This is no ordinary breakfast, this is a dining experience that will wow you! Everything is perfectly prepared, served and presented — and the unexpected little extras are a delightful surprise: like a gorgeous little amuse-bouche of homemade granola and yoghurt to start; a freshly-baked morsel aside your latte; a gorgeous water bowl and doggy biscuit served to our pooch; and homemade toffee crisp with your receipt. So much thought has gone into designing the breakfast experience - and everything is executed with finesse. What an absolute TREAT!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Scarlett Begonia is a cute place in the middle of courtyards off of State Street in Santa Barbara. We had brunch here and were seated quickly despite it being fairly busy.

The space we were seated in was fairly small and very early on, the staff member clearing the next table kept touching his butt to my body when clearing that table which was not necessarily the first “taste” of the restaurant I wanted. Despite that the rest of the experience was pretty good:

They brought us an amuse-bouche of house made granola with Greek yogurt. I love any restaurant that gives an amouse-bouche…even if I can’t eat it or don’t like it, it’s cool when one comes along.

My wife had the 2 egg breakfast substituting avocado instead of meats. This also came with fruit. She said the gluten-free bread was delicious. It also came with delicious homemade strawberry jam that was not overly sweet.

I had the Endless Summer Scramble (not on the menu as of this December review of our summer experience there…their menu changes seasonally which is what you want with a restaurant.) It was also very good and came with French arugula, leeks and Gouda. Both our dishes came with the same potatoes although one was labeled peewee potatoes and the other was labeled green potatoes. That was a bit confusing though in the end I guess comforting that we weren't missing out on a particular kind of potatoes. The eggs were not exactly soft scrambled as stated though they certainly weren't over cooked.

I also had a biscuit which was pretty darned good. (I’m a biscuit snob.) It was also served with that homemade jam and butter. It was definitely a legitimate, southern, generously sized biscuit. The butter they served it with was unsalted, but the table came equipped with a little little container of finishing salt which we applied ourselves and made the difference in terms of the taste we were looking for.

As a sort of sequel to the amouse-bouche, the check came with pieces of house-made brittle for all. That was also awfully nice although that brittle definitely stayed with my teeth the rest of the day. It wasn’t quite as crunchy as other brittles I've had but tasted good.

We had an overall good experience and would definitely would come back for the food (but not so much for the contact with the contact with the busboy’s butt.

Date of visit: June 2017