“a perfect place for lunch”
Review of Scarlett Begonia

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Scarlett Begonia has become our favorite place for lunch in Santa Barbara. This wonderful restaurant just off of State Street offers both indoor and outdoor dining. They have great food (we especially like the Kale Cesar Salad with a poached egg), great breads (we enjoy a biscuit with our salads and usually buy a fresh-baked bread to take home), and terrific service.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

This is no ordinary breakfast, this is a dining experience that will wow you! Everything is perfectly prepared, served and presented — and the unexpected little extras are a delightful surprise: like a gorgeous little amuse-bouche of homemade granola and yoghurt to start; a freshly-baked morsel aside your latte; a gorgeous water bowl and doggy biscuit served to our pooch; and homemade toffee crisp with your receipt. So much thought has gone into designing the breakfast experience - and everything is executed with finesse. What an absolute TREAT!

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Scarlett Begonia is a cute place in the middle of courtyards off of State Street in Santa Barbara. We had brunch here and were seated quickly despite it being fairly busy.

The space we were seated in was fairly small and very early on, the staff member clearing the next table kept touching his butt to my body when clearing that table which was not necessarily the first “taste” of the restaurant I wanted. Despite that the rest of the experience was pretty good:

They brought us an amuse-bouche of house made granola with Greek yogurt. I love any restaurant that gives an amouse-bouche…even if I can’t eat it or don’t like it, it’s cool when one comes along.

My wife had the 2 egg breakfast substituting avocado instead of meats. This also came with fruit. She said the gluten-free bread was delicious. It also came with delicious homemade strawberry jam that was not overly sweet.

I had the Endless Summer Scramble (not on the menu as of this December review of our summer experience there…their menu changes seasonally which is what you want with a restaurant.) It was also very good and came with French arugula, leeks and Gouda. Both our dishes came with the same potatoes although one was labeled peewee potatoes and the other was labeled green potatoes. That was a bit confusing though in the end I guess comforting that we weren't missing out on a particular kind of potatoes. The eggs were not exactly soft scrambled as stated though they certainly weren't over cooked.

I also had a biscuit which was pretty darned good. (I’m a biscuit snob.) It was also served with that homemade jam and butter. It was definitely a legitimate, southern, generously sized biscuit. The butter they served it with was unsalted, but the table came equipped with a little little container of finishing salt which we applied ourselves and made the difference in terms of the taste we were looking for.

As a sort of sequel to the amouse-bouche, the check came with pieces of house-made brittle for all. That was also awfully nice although that brittle definitely stayed with my teeth the rest of the day. It wasn’t quite as crunchy as other brittles I've had but tasted good.

We had an overall good experience and would definitely would come back for the food (but not so much for the contact with the contact with the busboy’s butt.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Really lovely people working here. We were seated immediately and the waitress was very attentive. Almost too attentive. We ordered an iced tea and coffee (although many were drinking mimosas and blood mary's). For brunch we ordered one of their large cinnamon buns to share and asked that it be served before our meals. That didn't happen. The cinnamon bun arrived 10 seconds before our entrees - disappointing. It was very tasty - a soft, tender dough and a perfect amount of cinnamon sugar inside. I had "dirty" fries and a burrata open faced toast, while my daughter ordered a great looking shrimp salad - large grilled shrimp were delicious. Nothing to complain about the food except their timing of it. I never got my iced tea but was billed for it. When told, the waitress immediately took it off and brought me an iced-tea in a to-go cup. Very nice touch. I loved sitting the very private, secluded garden. I would ago again for sure.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

On Labor Day Me and my friend we visited this place.. This place is absolutely stunning. love the ambiance and the location of this restaurant.. To begin with this place is secluded from the bustling streets and it is hidden by few boutiques. This place has a small courtyard you to dine outdoors if you are an outdoor diner. The courtyard its self is very stunning, warm and cozy - perfect for brunch.. If you happen to visit this place I highly recommend you start of with their signature Cinnamon roll with a nice cup of coffee. I kid you not your tastebuds will be upper a feast. Their Cinnamon roll stands out from other cinnamon rolls is because they use Yukon Potato on their Cinnamon Roll which makes the roll soft and moist. I also Loved their Shrimp and Grits - sautéed prawns, two soft poached eggs, andouille sausage, caramelized onions, roasted red pepper the food here is absolutely decedent and mouth watering. Overall great place, great food and great people. I would visit back this place if I happen to stumble upon in Santa Barbara and I also recommend this place to everyone else.