All reviews rooftop pool three buildings goat tree restaurant the main reception building skate fish casual dining venue house car construction zone across the street management team comfortable lounge chairs lower state street stylish hotel bachelorette party every amenity double sinks star hotel
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

This my all time favorite spa! I am from the Chicago area and this is hands down the best of the best! Isabel and Brenda are very well educated and will treat your skin to your needs! They do outstanding facials and are very helpful with product needs and knowledge. I will be back every time I am in the area. My skin has never been better!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
KristinaE658, Director of Rooms at Hotel Californian, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

Thank you for visiting us Ashlie, I really appreciate your comments. It was a joy to serve you, so glad to hear you had outstanding facials and enjoyed our fabulous Estheticians Brenda and Isabel. We pride ourselves on creating a one of a kind experience, I am glad we created the best of the best for you! Thank you once again! Have the best day!

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at this hotel. Great location, recently remodeled. We loved the feel of the hotel (which has three buildings). We stayed in the building with the gym and the rooftop pool. There was a nice smaller deck with a gas fire pit that we enjoyed several nights.

Service was really good throughout the property. Both restaurants were good and we especially loved Blackbird. We love Ed being a block from the beach and so close to restaurants and tasting rooms. Highly recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
KristinaE658, Director of Rooms at Hotel Californian, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Thank you epj14 for your wonderful feedback! We are so happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the service from our employees at Hotel Californian. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 25 September 2018

If you had to capture the essence of Santa Barbara in a hotel, it would be this one. Light and breezy, with generous sized rooms, this hotel is well located in the heart of the shopping district and close to the ocean. Beds are comfy, but bathrooms are disappointingly small. And the bellman insisted on taking my bag – I had only one 24-inch bag – but then failed to deliver it. Twenty minutes after arriving, I had to go fetch it, and then he brought it up anyway. I didn't want him to take the bag, but he insisted. Twenty minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but I had less than an hour to shower, change and get to a business meeting. Worse, the staff has a habit of taking loudly in Spanish in the hallways, which echo noticeably into your room. They are gracious and well meaning however, and it would not deter me from staying there.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Lawrence P
KristinaE658, Director of Rooms at Hotel Californian, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Thank you Lawrence P for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Californian. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and do apologize about the inconvenience your experienced at check in and the staff. We have address the issues and do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Hotel Californian is a relatively new property spread over several buildings in downtown Santa Barbara. It is a short walk to the beach and two block from the train station. The hotel is decorated in a Moorish style and very tastefully done. Each room is a bit different. Rooms are adequately sized, but not huge by any means. Amenities are top notch. The building with the gym and pool has an outstanding roof deck with a small bar but what recommends it is the view. Full beach view and full hill view. Don't miss the roof deck if you stay at Hotel Californian.

Room tip: Try to get a room with a balcony facing the ocean.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you KARXPRT for your wonderful feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our rooftop pool and had a memorable stay with us at Hotel Californian. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 23 September 2018

The hotel itself is lovely, the decor is stylish and luxurious. It offers a turndown service every evening which is a touch above.
The rooms are well sound proofed for being in central downtown SB. The rooms are clean and well kept, as you would expect. The bed was comfortable and offers linen of a high thread count. Free water bottles are replenished in room daily - front desk and valet will also give them to you if asked.
Location is great, can walk to a number of quality restaurants and the shopping area of State Street. The hotel offers a complimentary car service within a 2 mile radius and free bike hire if you'd rather not walk!
The rooftop pool is delightful, ample amount of beds and space, guests aren't on top of each other, and the views of the beach, pier and Riviera are impeccable.
The Goat Tree cafe offers great healthy food options, service was only OK though. Particularly in the morning when you want to eat and go.

My only complaints are that the resort is split into 4 buildings, you have to cross the street from the main reception building (where my room was located) to access the building with the gym, spa and rooftop pool. It's a little weird crossing the street in a bathrobe, as there is a lively bar next to the entrance to the rooftop pool building.
The layout of my room was good, but the positioning of the TV was a problem, as you can't watch it comfortably from the bed. Perhaps not an issue for most short-term visitors, but I was here for 6 nights and like to relax before going to sleep by watching TV.
For the hotel resort services you do have to pay $35 dollar per night resort fee, not an issue considering what's included, but noting for awareness.

Room tip: Ask for a room that is in the same building as the rooftop pool
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you LisaD for your wonderful feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the location and service at Hotel Californian. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.