“We expected more from Embassy Suites.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 September 2017

My husband and I enjoy staying at Embassy Suites when there's one local to our destination, but this one proved disappointing. We stayed on the 4th of July this year for a quick out of town overnight, and had issues not long after arriving when the manger's reception was so busy that there was nowhere to sit in the center courtyard with our drinks; arranging for more seating would be a wise idea for such a large hotel.

Our room was nice enough, pretty much your average Embassy Suites room. But unfortunately, our bedroom window looked over the fairgrounds next door, and there was a lot of noise from over there not from fireworks, but from fair workers making lots of banging and clanging noises both that night and early the next morning. For a property right next to such a potentially noisy neighbor, one would think more efficient noise suppression measures might be in place.

The topper was the next morning; I had finally gotten back to sleep after the rude awakening from the fairgrounds when a light started to flash on the wall of our room, and a repeated loud alarm noise and a recorded message started coming over a speaker in both the corridor around the courtyard and our room stating that an emergency had been reported in the hotel & everyone was to evacuate. We packed up real fast & just left since we didn't have much with us and were checking out that morning anyway; at that time the flashing emergency lights were still flashing both in our room and in the corridors around the courtyard, but there were employees casually sweeping the courtyard like nothing had happened, and guests were milling around the courtyard area as well standing around in small groups in the parking lot. The hotel handled this in a completely unacceptable manner. Either there should have been staff members in the corridors and courtyard area directing guests as to where we should go, or that same speaker system should have been used to inform us that it was a false alarm. I'm pretty sure that their future guests might appreciate it if they make an effort to become more well-prepared for an actual emergency, as well as planning how to inform a large number of guests of a false alarm. I won't be returning, myself.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed 10 September 2017

It is a very nice hotel and near to other things. There are a lot of people working there and the breakfast they gave us was very good. There was a very nice area for our meeting that we went to the hotel for.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Gail N
IzzyNavarrete, Sales Coordinator at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Thank you very much for such a positive review. We are flattered by your compliments and do hope to see you soon at the Embassy Suites by Hilton San Rafael!

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Really enjoyed the visit. Too crowded though on the holiday weekend. Hot breakfast and the complimentary wine reception was very good. Rooms were big. Extra sofa bed was helpful for our family of 5. Recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
IzzyNavarrete, Sales Coordniator at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for giving us a great rating and for recommending our hotel to other travelers. I'm sure our entire hotel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

This was a disappointment. For the price I would have rather stayed at a smaller, more local hotel. This place is too big for its britches. I don't mind that it all looks "dated" because after it is built, what can you do?? But everything needs a new coat of paint and is slightly "crumbling". The furniture is all scratched and chipped and the carpet in my room was stained in a few places. I was placed on the 3rd floor in a King Suite. I noticed the room smelled a bit smokey when I got in but thought it would be weird to have been placed in a Smoking room without being asked if that was okay. The window latch was broken so I couldn't open it to air the room out. When I got back in later that evening I noticed the smell of cigarette smoke was coming through the vent in the bathroom. GROSS! So I kept the door closed the entire time and took all my things out of the bathroom including my bath towel. Do I really need to explicitly ask for a non smoking room in this day and age? Apparently so. A few other disappointing things: I noticed in the morning that cream colored make-up smudges were on TWO pillow cases. I don't wear make up. Both drinking glasses were dirty so I drank out of the paper cups (which are very wasteful, though this place boasts being "Green"). The breakfast was pretty yuk and the same at every single chain hotel that boasts "breakfast included". At this point I was OVER this place and so glad to be leaving. They charged me $9 for parking. Though at no time did I note anyone walking around to check if the parked cars had paid, I parked on the street for free.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor is a smoking floor
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
IzzyNavarrete, Sales Coordinator at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the experience did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologize for this. Please note that we take extreme pride in keeping our property up to the highest of standards, but clearly we had a lapse during your time with us. We have passed your concerns about the smoke smell, the cups and the pillow cases to our executive housekeeper to take corrective actions for this as it is unacceptable and make sure it will not happen again in the future.

For breakfast, please let us know what you would like to see at a continental deluxe breakfast? Perhaps next time we can accommodate your breakfast requests and let our chefs know in advance.

And as for our parking, yes we do charge a $7 fee (not $9) to upkeep the parking lot as well as ensure our guests a guaranteed parking spot now that the SMART train is next door.

Also, we’re aware that it’s time for our hotel to refresh and update, and we are in the process of a future remodel.

If you do have any more issues to address, please let us know! Your feedback helps us better and improve our staff and hotel so that we can learn to not make these mistakes again. Thank you and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

First time when came in July, I was impressed by the hotel and its amenities. Lobby is very inviting and the style of the hotel was really impressive (like theater style with 5 floors). However, the restaurant onsite was not any good: they burned my crab cakes and when I pointed it out they told me that they will not charge me for coffee? However I keep coming back because of my HHonors membership and hotel location and during my third recent stay I got a very opposite impression about the hotel. First, they refused to give us a room at the fifth floor (HHonor member floor) though I am a member, then finally gave us a room just near the two elevators. They were keep telling us that they are completely full (but I got an impression that they were less full than in my first visit). In addition, the free breakfast they are so proud off was just awful. There were so many people (it is free) that you could not find any clean tables available and need to pick up a food and eat in almost a 100 people crowd if not more. I will never go their during Saturday-Sunday and any holidays again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. All your comments are essential to educating our staff about good and bad service. We will ensure your feedback will be given to all of management and make corrective actions so this will not happen again to you or future guests. We do hope you can give us another chance and if you would like to discuss your issues personally, you can email our Director of Rooms, Michael Mahoney at Michael.Mahoney2@Hilton.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
8.4 km away
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Region: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Price Range: €118 - €213 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
The Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County hotel is located just north of San Francisco, a few short steps from the Marin County Convention Center and Civic Center. Set in a scenic area known for its wineries and natural beauty, this upscale San Rafael hotel is within easy reach of attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Northgate Shopping Mall, Sausalito and downtown San Francisco. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael