“Best French Basque food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Le Chalet Basque Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Chalet Basque Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 255 Restaurants in San Rafael
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Public Transit is located in front of restaurant.
Description: Welcome to the Chalet Basque restaurant, a family style restaurant serving dishes inspired by the Basque regions of France and Spain. Located in San Rafael, California, the owner and proud staff would like to invite you to come join us for our delicious cuisine, full bar, and outdoor patio. Our restaurant is also available for Banquets and parties upon reservation.
Reviewed 5 May 2016

This is our absolute favorite place for dinner hands down. My husband always has the escargot, I have to have the watercress soup. We have I think tried everything on their menu as we go often. My husband is also a classically trained chef and he adores their sweetbreads. I had the last time a lamb dish that was incredible. But when we go for lunch I have the Le Chalet Basque Salad. The dressing is delicious and their water cress soup!

Reviewed 15 April 2016

The atmosphere and service were acceptable, but the food didn't make it. We've been to both the Spanish and French Basque regions and love the people and food. With such great potential, we were very disappointed with the results. It may be a good restaurant for those who are not familiar with Basque cuisine, but our suggestion is that they try the Basque Cultural Center on the Peninsula or Piperade rather than waste their time and money at this place

Reviewed 13 March 2016

This could be nice. The space is comfortable. But the food is about at the level of a 2 star hotel. It all tastes the same. The bread was stale. The entree came with steamed veggies that were absolutely tasteless. It looked like the molded cup of rice was the side for everyone tonight. Nothing stood out as interesting. Worse yet, our waiter abandoned us. He never checked on us. We had to flag down other waiters to get another glass of wine and that took quite some time. The soup was pretty good though.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

Long time residents of Marin know Le Chalet for over 50 years. They continue today with good food, an excellent bar, a back room for groups (up to approx. 40), and very good service. They use Open Table now for reservations. There are daily specials popular with regulars (lamb shanks on Wednesdays) served with delicious homemade soup or a fresh salad. Some of the best sand dabs, petrale sole in the bay area. East Bay friends love to come to this Marin hideaway in Santa Venetia.

Reviewed 8 February 2016 via mobile

I love french food, it's a pity I didn't get any. My orange duck had all the flavour of carboard dipped in orange juice. Not only was the "food" bad, they completely forgot knives and forks. Being at hotel I naturally assumed they would be supplied. No so when I called them to ask for some I was treated rudely and then hung up on. The disgruntled driver returned a half hour later the same attitude. Don't know why, he got an $18.00 tip. Don't waste your time or money on this horrible restaurant.