“Not bad!...”

Ranked #4 of 449 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled alongside a quiet lagoon, our fourth restaurant, and the first to feature the upstairs, upscale Top of the Market, has been a dining destination for bay area residents since 1982. This beautiful restaurant also features a full-service cocktail bar and lounge area, and a popular oyster bar. Patio dining is available in the summer months.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Yes, it’s a small chain and yes, it’s never going to get a Michelin Star - but, I had a nice meal here.

Good decor, loads of people and service that was pretty good.

As a seafood restaurant my Prawns we’re over cooked and a bit tough- but surprisingly my sides (Potato Gratin and Char Grilled Vegies) we’re really tasty!

The local Chardonnay was nice and all in all I enjoyed my meal.

The WiFi is terrible tho! (And were in Silicon Valley!?)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went for lunch, seated quickly on water, lovely views if you can sit outside. Service was lackluster. Sat near outdoor server station and the buckets of used dishes and food wastes were overflowing to point of spilling over and servers just shoved more into them until they did spill. Crab cakes were ok but crab cocktail was flavorless shredded crab that might have come from a can or previously frozen. Avoid at all costs. The prosciutto wrapped scallops were also a joke. Served cold on a skewer with what was probably frozen French fries also cold. Only bright spot was a companion had the dunkin bucket steamed clams and mussels with a nicely spiced sauce. Took a long time to clear dishes off our table and to get the check. There are many restaurants in Bay Area on the water that serve seafood maybe we just went on an off day, but night want to try elsewhere first.

kirk b, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Market, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

SavvyTraveler - Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience. The general manager of the San Mateo Restaurant, Simon, would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you. Please email me a way to contact you at fishmarketfeedback+tsmsav@gmail.com I hope to hear from you soon. Kirk B

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Was with a group of friends and someone suggested the Fish Market. Should have voice my view about chain restaurants. Anyway, it was for a quick lunch so I didn't. The restaurant is located at a nice spot with water view. There were six of us so too big for the patio seatings but we were shown to nice window seats with the water view. I order Crab Louie and it was a disappointment. There were no chunks just fine shredded crab meat that is tasteless. My friends said their fish was good so maybe I just ordered wrong item.

kirk b, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Market, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Tim - Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience. The general manager of the San Mateo Restaurant, Simon, would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you. Please email me a way to contact you at fishmarketfeedback+gsmtim@gmail.com I hope to hear from you soon. Kirk B

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I had a friend stay at my home for the first time. He knew of my house from when i bought it 30 plus years ago, but never had stayed with me until this trip. He knew of where i lived over the years by phone and still pictures, ultimately by text and Facebook. When he set up the visit, one of his requests was go to Silver Oak Winery, Opus One Winery, and to go by my boat to the Fish Market. I share his itinerary with you to let you realize how special the trip to the Fish Market was to him.

We cruised down in my boat. If you live on Mariners Lagoon it is the onky way to go. ( Otherwise drive) was greeted by the waitress who always serves us. We sat on the patio overlooking the water.She is extraordinary in that she knows everything on the menu, and explains it completely. He picked Garlic Crab Cheesy Bread to start things off. We ordered Rombauer chardonney. His appetizer was a smoked fish combo, he loved it, and for his entree he picked fresh crab legs. The serving was huge and our waitress never let him run out of drawn butter. He picked a decadent chocolate offering for desert. His comments "included everything was delicious, and it was even better than he thought it would be after waiting 30 years since he lived so far away."

For a special occasion eating out on the deck overlooking the lagoon is really something special. For any occasion either arriving by boat or car, the patio deck makes the event special. We go usually at least once per week. You will enjoy.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Reviews seem as bit mixed but we came for a relaxed waterside atmosphere and were very pleasantly surprised by the extra nice ambiance and decor. Our service and food turned out to be great! We sipped a quite decent inexpensive house chardonnay with our yummy oysters Rockefeller and crab cake appetizers. Our main courses were grilled rockfish, sea bass and grilled prawns, all really good with nice choice of 2 sides each. This place is definitely one to return to.