“Little bit of Italy in San Mateo”
Review of Acquapazza Ristorante - CLOSED

Acquapazza Ristorante
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ellsworth
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Nice little neighborhood gem in the downtown area of San Mateo. Met some girlfriends there on a Tuesday night. It wasn't too full that night and the wait staff was great. They have some unique drinks (mojito with fresh strawberries and basil?) I ordered it without the basil as i wanted the more traditional version and they brought in a Mason jar with the lid on. They told me to shake it up when i was ready to drink it, which of course that was almost the moment they brought it as it looked so good. And let me say it was good!!!

We all had different specials of the evening which were so delicious. I had the swordfish which was grilled perfectly and came with a little dab of mashed potatoes and beans and my friends had the pasta special which had a meat sauce that they thought was just wonderful. Prices were not too crazy for what you got and the quality was worth it.

Must try the Tiramisu for dessert! One of the best I have ever tasted (and I have had many versions of this!!!)

Will go back to this place very soon again!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I had dinner here with our son and daughter-in-law, who had dined here the week before and loved it. I can personally recommend the spinach salad and tortino,an unusual vegetarian presentation starring artichokes and hazelnuts, which was very tastey. We were a bit of a nuisance, asking for a table in a different place because we wanted to be upstairs, and then needing still another arrangement because our granddaughter couldn't make it, shrinking our party. The staff did not appear in the least ruffled. It was one of the nicest Italian dinners I have had!

Reviewed 22 February 2012

As the name Acqua Pazza (water crazy) tells, they are Italian seafood restaurant where some niche dishes are being served. Weekends may need reservations but worth a try if you are a fish dish lover like me. Buon appetito!

1  Thank koba-sf
Reviewed 8 February 2012

A very good restaurant, the appetizers were fantastic and in some ways a highlight of the meal. The waiter we had was very helpful and friendly without being overbearing. I had the lamb special and one of the best lamb dishes I ever had.

When back in San Mateo, I'll definitely be going here again for dinner.

1  Thank Ron H
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Although we had walked by this restaurant many times this is the first time we ate at this restaurant and we were quite delighted with the good serivce and quality of the food. Even without a reservation on a Sat. night we were promptly seated by a very friendly hostess when the restaurant was almost completely full. Service was very attentive. We ordered Margherita pizza as our first dish and my egg pasta chicken was very delicious. My husband's seafood pasta was equally good as well. All dishes arrived steaming hot. The waiter also recommended a bottle of very good Italian wine that went well with our pasta. Atmosphere was very nice and we definitely will return in the future. Get a table by the front window for people watching. There's lot of foot traffic on 3rd St. especially on a Sat. night.