“Great place for late night snack”
Review of Izakaya Mai

Izakaya Mai
Ranked #98 of 431 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 23 October 2014

This place is open late most nights of the week, so it's great for that late-night snack you're craving.

It features lots of small plates, and it's not your typical sushi place, that's what makes it so good.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Went here this past Saturday. I was S T A R V I N G. It was late, after 10 PM. The food was okay and the service WAS pretty good... that is, until we were done with our meal. During the meal the servers shared service and refilled our waters before the madness ensued.

They gave us boxes for our leftovers and a plastic bag. We waited and WAITED for at least 20, maybe 30 minutes for our check. In that time frame, they brought us the check and credit card for another table. In the main room, there was only about 3 other parties eating... one single at the bar and two other couples so they were NOT busy. That being said, there was NO excuse for their horrible service.

I have had my identity stolen - with thousands of dollars in credit being used in my name so if I am understandably paranoid about such things. Had my bf and I been some of those crooked type people, we could have snatched up the other person's credit card and walked out and created some kind of havoc, just because of the servers' incompetence.

We had promptly told the server that was not our bill and we waited again for what seemed an eternity. The main server who had been helping us walked by us at least 4 times while we were waiting. In fact everyone walked by us with our food packed, and I was about to fall asleep. OBVIOUSLY we were done with our meal but no one bothered to check if we needed anything. I assumed they knew we were waiting but I finally I blurted out that we were still waiting for our check. They asked, "oh you didn't get your check?" DUH, we returned the other check that mistakenly came to us like over 15 minutes ago. Then they figured out that they gave our bill to the other couple who ended up paying our bill.

So not only an error for us but for the other couple as well? And you weren't even busy??? Give me a break. They had to fix their check and give us ours. They finally gave us our check and I tipped them a whopping 10% off the bill less the $.50 charge for the to-go boxes and bag, that they failed to mention to us. Now that I think about it I shouldn't have given them any tip.

Anyway, I frequent many restaurants and I was just so disgusted at the poor quality of service and organization here. There was no accountability and with the small amount of patrons at that given time, there was NO excuse. I will NOT be returning and I recommend you take your appetite elsewhere where they no how to run a proper business and make better food worth writing about.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I'm no expert on Japanese food, but my party certainly left well-fed (maybe too much) and happy. We went on a Sunday evening around 8pm, when the wait for a table was minimal. The ambiance suited the sharing of small plates--cozy and lively, like what you would find in a local secret on a side street in Tokyo. We had a selection of grill plates (beef tongue!), tempura (good job with the shrimp), sushi (ok, nothing special), rice bowl and udon bowl. I liked that we had a choice between regular sized and mini-sized bowls, so that we had real estate to spare for sampling the other dishes. Choosing was hard and mandates a follow-up trip to sample the other delectables on the menu. They even offered "onigiri", which I realize is meant for breakfast, but I can eat sticky rice and seaweed any time of day, and you had a choice of traditional nori-wrapped or grilled. For a lighter dessert, we walked/waddled over to Bambu for exotic fruit drinks.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

It's an izakaya house. They have the traditional seating with a choo choo train running around the ceiling. Small but quaint. Love their butter fish. Just melt in your mouth! They also have champion noodles, a sub in case you need a ramen fix.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

the food is prepared fast, and this restaurant open super late at night, It's located at san mateo downtown.