“Open Late”

Izakaya Mai
Ranked #206 of 417 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 22 October 2013

the food is prepared fast, and this restaurant open super late at night, It's located at san mateo downtown.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Went back to the Bay Area for business. One my last day, I was planning to go to a sushi place I frequented before. My best friend told me that the quality of that place had declined significantly since I was last there (verified by several others - all of whom are Japanese - so I trust their judgment!). So instead, my buddy recommended this little place in San Mateo. Their sushi was alright (not superb), but it was their Jampong (which is a noodle dish that's actually Chinese/Korean!) that was terrific. Given that, I can certainly recommend this place: not much ambiance (it's pretty cramped - like a typical place in Tokyo), but who cares? Go for the food.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The food here was delectable. The service was simply superb. The price was reasonable. Our bill averaged out to around $23 per person. My only complaint was the long wait to get a table.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Izakaya Mai is one of the most authentic Japanese restaurants in San Mateo and is a favorite of Japanese executives from companies like Tokyo Broadcasting Corporation and ANA. On weekends and some weeknights this place is packed and waiting for a table can be very challenging.

On my last visit I had a light meal of vegetable tempura and grilled eggplant in sweet miso. The eggplant was exquisite with its slightly charred crispy skin and soft flesh. The tempura was crisp and delicious but the yam piece was cut too thick and therefore became undercooked. This was the only flaw of an almost perfect dinner. During previous visits the food has always been consistently great.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

This is the perfect Japanese restaurant -very authentic! Sushi and everything else - many special items - written on their specials board. I really like the privacy of the downstairs area.