“Attentive sushi chef”

Yanagi Sushi
Ranked #100 of 308 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Wait staff was attentive. But the chef was fantastic. Great sushi. My suggestion is to sit at the bar. Order small. Ask questions about what something is if you don't know and go with his or her advice on what you should get. Our chef took us through a flavor profile that you would not get unless you talk to them. He rewarded us for our curiosity.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

Yanagi has enjoyed a stellar reputation in the past, but according to my experience and that of others I have spoken to, quality has slipped a bit in recent years. I tried their Combination Lunch ($12.50) and was amazed at the diversity and amount of food presented. It was far more than I could handle. My lunch consisted of Edamame, Miso Soup, Eight large pieces of Spicy Tuna Roll, a large serving of Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura, Japanese Salad, and Rice.

My only issue was quality. The Tuna Roll was hardly spicy, quite bland, and consisted of ground tuna with a thin slice of cucumber. One might wonder what cut and quality of tuna would be selected for the meat grinder. The Tempura was moderately crisp, but bland and slightly greasy. I would not order either of these dishes again.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

We were greeted at the door and shown to our table. The waitress provided everyone with a greeting and took our drink order. We started with fried and steamed gyozo and those were terrific. We moved on to sushi and sashimi after that and had a wonderful assortment of rolls. I loved the signature Yanagi roll, while my companions enjoyed the crunchy roll, the udon, and the sashimi assortment. This is a regular stop for us when in SLO.

Reviewed 19 February 2017

Tonight I ordered take-out dinner combo of two items: chicken and shrimp tempura and gyoza that came with miso soup and salad. There was no chicken and two slim tempura battered shrimp. The tempura vegetables were one thick onion slice, one large slice of potato, two sweet potato pieces--the cheapest possible vegetables. No broccoli (which is in season), or any other kind of green vegetable. My drive home was a short 5 minutes so the items should not have been soggy when I got home. Even the gyoza was sparsely stuffed. Maybe the sushi is great, but this dinner item was almost inedible.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

in san luis o, last minute sushi decisions can be crazy. you can wait forever at goshi, so yanagi is a good bet if you wish to stay in the old town area. every place has a slightly different spin on sushi etc. (yanagi was hoppin' too though the other night.) while this is generally not my 1st pick place, the food was delicious. took a few shouts to get the drinks order right though as you could not hear so well above the din. and i cannot even tell you the exact names of what was ordered... sorry. refer back to super busy and noisy so our small group just let one friend handle the food order to simplify. good eats.

1  Thank SydneyofSanLuis