New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Berkeley, California
“Very Pleased!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Friendly staff, nice breakfast, and a relaxing hot tub and pool. Beds were comfy had a good night sleep, it was an easy walk to campus and I enjoyed a relaxing break in the outdoor area w/a view of the mountains.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Melissa F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I have stayed at this motel several times over the years. They've recently done some renovation, but they seem to have missed the mark a bit. They've installed small refrigerators, but I tried three rooms and couldn't get any of them to work. The desk clerk said she'd send someone to check on it, but no one ever showed up. She also just told me the room number--no envelope for the keycard with the number written on it. I had to go back and ask because I hadn't paid enough attention when she told me the room number.

The breakfast was pretty skimpy, and they had the TV going in the breakfast room--I hate that. When I checked out, the deskclerk (a different one) was not at all friendly. I said "Hello" and she just stared at me.

The motel is in a good location, near Cal-Poly, and just a few blocks up the hill from downtown. The rooms are all very quiet.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I showed up late from the airport (12:30 am) to check in. When the owner finally got up to answer the door..he was rude, angry, and not very inviting.

Another thing I've noticed..stained sheets! And really thin bedding.

And to top it all off, when my neighbors were busy talking it up all night, I called the front desk to ask them to stop...the lady called me "rude" because I thought it was inconvienient of my neighbors to group up in their room and have a chat fest until 10. Yes, I know quiet time is 10..but I had been trying to sleep since 9. If they wanted to meet up with family, a restaurant or pub could have been a better location perhaps??? Just to sum it up, the lady did her job and she was okay about it..but calling me rude was unnecessary.

I will never recommend this hotel/motel..

I forgot to mention the super thin walls...I can hear my neighbors snoring!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Adub_12

Travellers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

The room was clean, fluffy towels, BUT when I asked for an extra bath towel and wash cloth it was a BIG DEAL!! The snotty maid said their was only two people in our room and if I wanted another towel it had to be approved by the manager!!! I finally was able to get two towels after I signed for them at the front desk! For these reasons I will never stay again. I felt like a criminal. Also upon check out the front desk clerk said "Hope you don"t want a receipt because I can't give you one". Not a pleasant person! It was a strange stay and I will pay a little extra for a better experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

If you are accustom to Best Western quality or service, you should avoid this place at all cost! I used to stay here often from 2005-2008 before I was a Best Western Diamond and always enjoyed my stay. This last trip was terrible. I checked in around 10PM midweek Nov 2011 and the man who helped me was clearly woken from a deep slumber and excessively disheveled including a random yellow t-shirt he was still wearing when I check out the next day. I stood there thinking “I hope the reason he took so long to answer the door was he stopped to wash his hands”. His appearance was shadowed by his disgruntled attitude. I may as well have interrupted the Super Bowl. I booked a “1 King Bed, Handicap Room” and after he repeatedly looked over my jeep and trailer which would need to be parked at the far end of the parking lot he placed me in a room at the top of the stairs as far away as possible, and of course no elevator at this location. The room was clearly not a Handicap room and he never asked if the change was OK? I made the mistake of stepping on the grass, which from the smell of the mud up over my ankle was a dysfunctional septic field. 1030 at night the last thing you want to deal with is stinky sticky mud, but the standing water in the morning with no recent rain made me believe I was right about the failed septic. Once in the room and clean I realized they don’t use the 3 sheet method on the bed and instead had a smelly cover/comforter thing. The breakfast was the normal except the hardboiled eggs were room temperature and no salt was available; which I am sure make the doctors happy, but not me. The coffee was disgustingly weak and served in a Styrofoam cup. I never thought I would wish for a cup of army coffee, but thankfully the gas station was pretty much the same thing. Then I laid down to take a nap before check out and suddenly with no knock a maid is standing in my room staring at me in bed while I was sending some emails. She said she was told the room was empty and just stood there. Finally after a long silence she left without an apology; the front desk never said anything when I did check out on time. Even the bathroom accessories, towels and in room coffee were not the same quality I have seen from other Best Westerns without the “Plus”. My bottom line impression is: this is a cheap “mom & pop” operation running down a good name and good hotel. Best Western should re-evaluate their contract with this location. Happy Travels

Room Tip: Drive to Pismo and spend the extra on the Best Western there, it is worth the drive.