“Pretty good overall”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Pretty good overall”
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My stay at this Courtyard was fine. The hotel is easily accessed from the highway and was only a 5-7 minute drive from Cal Poly where I was spending the week. The hotel is probably on the older side and some areas show a little wear and tear. But the lobby is nice and large with lots of seating areas. The restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and dinner, and there's even a small bar area as well. The fitness room was small but still had 2 treadmills plus a couple other machines. The treadmills are also showing their age as one of them was missing the ledge where you can rest a magazine or book while you walk, and the incline feature did not work.
My room was spacious and clean. The first day I checked in, it seemed like housekeeping had gotten distracted halfway through making up my bed, as the little decorative coverlet was draped over the sofa and the pillows were stacked on the bedside table. (?) Not sure what happened there, but the room was clean so I didn't really mind. From my third story window I had a lovely view of the central courtyard area of the hotel and the mountains in the distance... beautiful.
Overall there wasn't anything beyond the normal Courtyard standards for me. But it was a nice hotel with friendly staff and good for the business traveler.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tigerfly222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Canoga Park, CA
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff was immediately responsive to our request for more blankets and pillows -- would definitely stay here again and recommend!

Room Tip: Margie's Diner nearby is great for breakfast too -- GINORMOUS PORTIONS -- their 2-stack pancakes...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Annie S
lrrid262, General Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
I am so happy that your stay with us was enjoyable over the holiday weekend. I have shared your comments with the staff and they are very appreciative as well. It is our #1 priority to make each guest feel comfortable and well taken care of during each and every visit. We hope to duplicate the experience upon your next stay.

Lindsey Ridgeway
General Manager - Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed here on our way through SLO. The location is great for getting on & off the freeway. The hotel seems fairly new & was perfectly nice. We were happy with our room when we checked in as it faced the courtyard & was clean & quiet. However...the room was freezing so we turned off the air & immediately started to smell a terrible moldy, musty smell. We opened the window & ran out to meet friends for dinner. As soon as we returned the smell knocked us in the face. On closer inspection we saw the ceiling had been repainted around one of the sprinklers & there was an odor catcher canister on top of the closet. We called to have our room changed & they said they had no other room to move us to but offered to come up & spray air freshner to mask the smell, which we declined. Clearly they know this room has a problem & they should not check anyone in it until that issue has been rectified. We are silver elite with Marriott so this situation made us even sadder. We were staying on points but that should be a reward for brand loyality & not a punishment. Also at breakfast the next morning we were charged $7.99 per person for our toast & coffee when everyone around us seemed to have hotel vouchers. A minor issue but a bit disturbing considering the night we had just gone through. I'm not sure if any of the other rooms have this same issue but for now I'm not willing to risk staying there again.

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank BarbaraI
I am so sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfying during your stay. I am researching the odor issue you mentioned in depth. I have been assured that there is nothing harmful in the air, nor is there any reason to close down any of our guest rooms. Our rooms are very clean and inspected on a daily basis which follow Marriott standards. Your concerns are understandable and I promise I am doing everything humanly possible to get an answer and to remedy this issue. Thank you for your constructive comments and for your loyalty to Marriott.

Lindsey Ridgeway
General Manager - Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed just one night (and it was a business trip.) Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff was helpful, courteous, and welcoming. Breakfast was included with the package we purchased and was nicely done with omelets as requested, fresh fruit, a variety of rolls, cereals, breads.
I looks like a perfect location for exploring the area, has an outdoor pool, hot tub and exercise room. Also has wi fi.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank EHRINCA
Reviewed 9 October 2011

If you are traveling with your family, this hotel is a poor choice. I booked two rooms because I was traveling with my mother, husband, an infant and small kids. I called 4 days ahead to request to have adjoining rooms. When we arrived there had been no attempt to honor the request and no attempt to even try to get us rooms connecting. It was a miserable trip as my husband and I spent it in two different rooms because we obviously weren't going to leave a baby and toddlers in a room by themselves at night and during naps. It was so unbelievable how unwilling the hotel was to help accommodate such a simple request. They made zero effort and seemed to care very little about providing any level of customer service.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Stamp3d3
lrrid262, General Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
I am deeply apologetic that your stay with us was less than satisfying. I understand it is frustrating to spend time away from your family while on a family vacation. A large part of our mornings are spent reviewing guests requests to ensure that we meet the requests of as many guests as possible. Unfortunately this did not happen in your case. Your comments are appreciated and they will be used as an important training tool with the staff. Again, we apologize we were not able to meet your request."