“Great place to eat Mexican food ”

La Penita Restaurant
Ranked #562 of 2,345 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 25 March 2015 via mobile

If you really want Mexican food in San Jose forget about Chipotle and those franchises.

La peñita is a real mexican restaurant the food tastes like if you were in a house down in Mexico.

Everything you try will fulfill your expectations and the attention you get there is good.

Deserves the try (for those who think a real Mexican place won't take cards they accept Visa and Mastercard).

Reviewed 6 December 2014

SO glad to find La Penita - we just had breakfast there and it was delicious! Tasty chips and two kinds of salsa to start, then chilaquilles with fried eggs for me and chorizo & eggs (with fresh, house-made tortillas) for my husband. The service was good, the ambiance pleasant and a great experience all around. We will be back!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We live a couple of blocks away from this, and whenever we eat here, we always order the same things. For me, I order one of the house specialities... cocido de res. It's a huge bowl of beef shank soup with cabbage, a big hunk of carrot, zucchini, half a potato, and a cob of corn. The meat is fork tender, and the broth will warm you up on a cold day or when you're under the weather. You get your choice of fresh corn or flour tortillas, and it comes with a small side of rice and beans. My boyfriend orders a combo of a cheese enchilada and a carnitas burritos. He asks for them to make it a wet burrito with red sauce... no problem. The fresh squeezed orange juice is definitely worth the money. I enjoy the horchata served in a goblet. This is a family-run restaurant. The service is always friendly. This is definitely a locals' spot. If you're interested in eating more than just burritos or tacos, this is the place for you.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

As the title states "This is a great little hole in the wall sit down Mexican restaurant"

Of course they start you with the requisite Chips and two types of salsa. The chips were store bought but ok, both of the salsa's were outstanding.

The service was prompt and pleasant. I ordered the Numero uno (No.1) Two Chile Relleno's, Rice and beans which also came with choice of corn, or flour tortillas. I had the corn and I believe they are hand made on the premises and are quite delicious.

The relleno's were very good, but the rice and beans were the best I have had in a restaurant. I bought a side of beans to take home and eat with the left over tortillas and some of their salsa as well.

This is in no way a fancy place, but the food is very good. They serve it piping hot so be careful, I have been to too many Mexican joints that do not heat their food properly, but that is not a problem here. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We found what we were looking for at La Penita Restaurant. Fresh squeezed orange juice and all 4 of us enjoyed our breakfast selections.