“Delicious: simple but authentic”

Hunan Taste Restaurant
Ranked #111 of 2,454 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Nothing to look at, a very simple restaurant in a "nothing" location
But the reason to go their is the food & that is outstanding.
Delicious and very authentic.
Yes, that does mean it is very hot: although there are some non spicy dishes it is the Hunan ones that are outstandingly good and they are spicy. I like hot food but found * to be nice, ** to be verry hot - and was scared off at *** (* = chilli)
"Authentric" means they do have chinese ingredients. Most dishes are fine & westerner friendly, but if you want tripe or offal then you can get it.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

A funky neighbourhood restaurant in a funky neighbourhood. But the smoked chicken and ham are, alone, worth the trip. It was a work day and we’d driven, so I didn’t have any alcohol, but the spicy food cried out for a cold beer. Strongly recommended. Plan to be back soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

I have been here many times over the last 27 years. My shop used to be located nearby and I would eat here at least 2 times per week. Now I'm quite a bit further away but I still come back for the great food.
I have tried just about everything on the menu but I especially like the Hunan noodles with the Pork Meat Sauce, the Hunan Smoked Ham with Green beans, and the Lamb with basil. I enjoy it very spicy and they make it the way I like.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Great food with reasonable prices. Had the steamed dumplings and Song's special - both were delicious with just the right amount of spice.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

I have been going to this restaurant for over 30 years. Always flavorful, and spicy, if you request it.