“Spur of the Moment Lunch Stop”
Review of Aqui Cal-Mex

Aqui Cal-Mex
Ranked #76 of 2,367 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

I LOVE the Aqui brand and I LOVE this location. It’s in a not so great looking strip mall but that means plenty of parking. It is a big building with plenty of seating although I’m sure it doesn’t feel like that if you come here during prime time. Every Aqui I’ve been to gets crowded fast but that’s because the drinks and the food are the bomb!

My husband and I usually each get a different swirl (this time I got the Sunrise and he got the Sangria). I always forget how strong the drinks are here. They may look fruity but you definitely get a good swig of alcohol with every sip which is why they are so great! No watered down beverages here! We both got the barbacoa burrito which we had never tried and it was delish. Their cilantro rice really makes every burrito here yummy no matter what filling you order. We both could’ve passed on the salad although it’s nice that they offer it with your meal free (you can also get soup instead). It’s a bit of a drive from our house but I need very little persuasion to drop by!

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

A group of 8 friends or so meet here for dinner and drinks monthly. It's convenient that we can order our own food at the counter and drinks at the bar. It's also easy to save seats if someone is arriving a bit later. Portions are quite large and so are the margaritas.

My complaints are the noise and the wine selection, so friends and I arrive before 5pm and I bring my own wine. There is no corkage fee.

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

Delicious. Great vegetarian options, humanely sourced meats. My favorite is the Cotija taquitos plate.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Very noisy inside and out. Strong drinks. Salmon dish under $10--hard to find & good for the price, but served with way too much mashed sweet potato. Liked patio but glad to leave 'cuz noise level was so bad.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

One of my all time Favorite Go To restaurants! I started going to the Aqui chain when it first open in Willow Glen. Now Aqui on Snell, followed by Aqui in Campbell.

The Bar: Wow! My #1 for Sangria! THE BEST!! #1 for Sangria Swirls! Very strong worth every penny but BE CAREFUL AND FOLLOW THE ONLY 2 DRINK policy! Very strong and seasonal! They will give you a small sample of the ones that are available if you ask! Love Aqui's Drinks!!

The Food: Black Bean dip is so Delicious! We always get the Black Bean Dip AND sometimes the Aqui Sampler which is also delicious w/Humus, Black Bean dip and Guacamole. All fresh and delicious!

Southwest Caesar Salad w/ Chicken: It has black beans, corn, pumpkin seeds, (I do 1/2 spinach 1/2 romaine lettuce) and they make a delicious dressing! So filling, healthy and so satisfying!

Lemon Pomegranate Tofu: Everything a Vegetarian would love!! Fresh tofu, apples, brown rice, etc., and a special pomegranate dressing that make this dish so yummy!

Dessert: If you're in the mood for something sweet then try the Chocolate Flourless Cake! They make their own whip cream to top off the cake! Very yummy and like the other posts, the raspberry sauce was so good(they do need to bring it back).

Daily Specials: Check the menu. Aqui is great for using seasonal items in their dishes. The Agua Frescas is another must to try. The Agua Frescas change daily as well. Read the chalk board for what's on special and what are the Agua Frescas for the day!

I love the variety that Aqui has. So many fresh made to order items. I always enjoy their menu and specials.

Been to Aqui Cal-Mex? Share your experiences!