All reviews moorpark hotel japanese market santana row front desk underground parking gas station hardwood floors parking lot large bathroom continental breakfast nice pool business hotel mini fridge cabana freeway cupertino crib
Reviewed 2 August 2018

“In order to be open to creativity,
one must have the capacity for
constructive use of solitude.”

~ Rollo May

I enjoy being around people, meeting new people, and engaging in constructive conversations with others. Such conversations often provide insightful thoughts and ideas which make their way into my writing. Now and then, however, I need to be in a quiet place, a place where I can be alone with my thoughts, even if others happen to be in the vicinity. I found such a place in my neighborhood.

When my Dad was alive and my parents lived in San Francisco, they would occasionally stay at the Moorpark Hotel in San José if they came down for a weekend event at our home. The Moorpark was a business hotel, so while the weekday room prices were a bit steep, the weekends were quite affordable. They stayed at the Moorpark several times. Each visit was a positive experience, highlighted by the pleasant, hospitable staff.

Kathy and I also stayed at the Moorpark one time, when we returned home one afternoon to find that our home was infested with honey bees! Kathy made it quite clear that she would NOT be staying in our home that night. Even though it was a week night, the hotel manager, hearing the reason for our visit, charged us the weekend rate for the nights we stayed there. Yes, we were exceedingly grateful.

Since that time, the hotel has undergone some changes, including new management. It’s now known as Aloft, and still a business hotel. A few weeks ago, while thinking about where I could go to do some writing in a quiet environment, I remembered the lounge of the hotel. The lounge, situated adjacent to the main lobby, was open for breakfast and dinner, but closed during the day. I stopped in to ask if I could sit in the lounge area to do some writing. I was welcomed warmly by Mariam, the general manager, and by her staff.

The lounge has large doors which open to the pool area. Quite often, the pool is not being used when I’m here. Today, there is one family, with a couple of kids, using the facility. Fortunately, they have been incredibly considerate of others, and the kids have not (so far) engaged in a game of Marco Polo! With today’s comfortable weather outside, the open doors provide a welcome bit of fresh air and a comfortable breeze.

The bar will open at five o’clock, about two hours from now. Occasionally, Kathy will come down and join me here for a glass of wine before we head home for dinner. Karli, the bartender, is a delightful conversationalist with an engaging sense of humor. She has a special way of making her customers feel welcome and appreciated.

I’m grateful to have found such a relaxing, nurturing environment to do my writing. I only get here once or twice a week, but the time I spend here is always both productive and enjoyable. Whether you’re looking for a place to stay in West San José, or just a place to write, enjoy a glass of wine, or eat dinner, Aloft is a place I can highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
MariamGeorgi, General Manager at Aloft San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Thank you for the incredibly detailed and rich description of your experience at our hotel. It is an honor to have you and we can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

We came on a Sunday and the bar was open but the kitchen was closed. The bartender was so nice and very helpful. Made us feel so welcome and helped us forget about the lack of food but at the same time helped us figure out the best places to get food. She even offered to order food for us. I highly recommend going there and having a great time with Karli.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
MariamGeorgi, General Manager at Aloft San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thank you for the kind words for Karli, I will be sure to share them! It was an honor having you and I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We can't wait to see you again, soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2018

Karli the bartender was amazing!!!!! She is very welcoming. I asked her to make a non-alcoholic drink for one of my friends and she nailed it! Great atmosphere all around, highly recommend going in your in town.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
MariamGeorgi, General Manager at Aloft San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Thank you for the great feedback about Karli and our hotel. It was wonderful having you and we hope to welcome you back, soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Just coming back with the family from Hawaii. This is an awesome place to stay. Very clean, bright, nice and cosy Hotel and a great alternative to the large business hotels. Very friendly service. Also quite close to the new Westmill Mall.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for connecting with us. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a great experience with our wonderful staff. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Visiting family in San Jose and they organised accomodation for our stay. We stayed for 2 nights in the dual queen bedroom on the ground floor. Comfortable clean bedrooms, good continental breakfast which is available on the weekends only. We used the small gym which was good for what we needed for our workout. Overall great place to stay.

1  Thank ChiStar88
MariamGeorgi, General Manager at Aloft San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you for sharing the positive feedback for our hotel. We are thrilled you had a great stay and we look forward to seeing you again, soon.