All reviewssmall chaircontemporary designfront deskhousekeeping serviceeuropean feelplanes flywelcome gifttiny roomdesk areahotel chainself parktwo blocksnice stayparking garagesharks gamefitness centerconvenient location
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Wanted to try a different Marriot in San Jose. Dove into the AC and was pleasantly surprised with the service and cleanliness of this newer hotel. The hotel styling is very modern European, almost to the fault of clinical. The amenities were nice and the staff made the stay great. Walking distance to numerous bars and restaurants and the arena for concerts and events. Take note of the $36.00 valet fee or $24.00 per day self park (it wasn't noted on the marriott website) The only negative is the hotel entrance is also a parking structure entrance and very tight and always congested. I would stay here again with the wonderful service provided.

Room Tip: Face away from the freeway and downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2017

This was my first stay at Marriott's AC brand, the best way to think of it is like a modern, fancy Courtyard. It is not a full service Marriott, but it offers a lot of the same amenities as a Courtyard but done more high end. The rooms are minimal but well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. I was worried with the wood floor that it might echo or you would hear every move the person above you made. The noise level was fine. The breakfast in the hotel was wonderful, it was a spanish twist on normal breakfast. The buffet was well appointed and everything tasted great.

The only issue I had was around the housekeeping. They didnt come to my room, once I called down the sent someone up, but they didnt replenish the tissues, soaps, etc. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I like this hotel and brand a lot. I would give it a 5 except for location jammed between an interstate and other buildings. So the pool is very industrial and shaded. That said it is a great hotel. Nicely designed, appointed and esthetically pleasing.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel in July 2017 and was not impressed. The only thing that was good about it was the bed as it was quite comfortable. The room is dull and drab. I think they could've given a better modern theme and still somehow incorporated softer lines and not so echoey. The room felt like it was a storage room. The front desk staff was on point. The breakfast staff seem like they were struggling with English way too much. The bar was beyond bright for as late tonight as we try to enjoy yourselves. At $400 a night my expectations were definitely a lot higher. They didn't even offer breakfast. That was additional. It wasn't that good either. Next time I'll just find a holiday in express at $100 a night and I know I'm going to get a comfortable room and a big giant breakfast is included. These days people are for amenities as there's way too many properties that offer them. It's not only the price of the breakfast in the morning that was annoying it is the hassle of digging through the menu ( which for some reason they had to use fancy words that I had to Google to describe their menu items, and it's not like were in some foreign land, we are in San Jose) and ordering something and waiting on the staff to bring me both my food and the bill. I'd rather work at my own pace and hit the buffet at a Holiday Inn or Hampton. I'm not saying I wouldn't give it another shot sometime but hopefully things will be different. Maybe as it ages this property evolves to figure things out. I wrote a review of the hotel on their website immediately after my stay and received a response from management stating that they'll forward my comments to corporate. That is very annoying to me as nobody takes responsibility for anything. If you're the manager then manage not just the hotel but the guest experience. If you have a guest that is not happy then you do what you can to make them happy. Forwarding comments to corporate is not going to make me happy. That's actually kind of stupid to offer only that. In today's day and age when yelp or trip adviser could really help or diminish business you would think people would take this more seriously.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank jcollierpm
John S, General Manager at AC Hotel by Marriott San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Greetings jcollierpm,
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and will use it as we continue to work towards improving our guest experiences. We pride ourselves in delivering an excellent experience, but in this case it appears we have failed. For this, we are truly sorry! Although your experience did not earn is great ratings, it is wonderful to learn that our Front Desk team was spot on. We hope you will give us an opportunity to win your trust on your next visit to San Jose.

Regards,
John Sevilla

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Love the modern and European stylish hotel. Shawn was great at the front desk. Cece in the lounge is sweet and friendly. She remembered us from our visit in May. Great location in downtown and access to freeways.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family