“About the worst Indian restaurant I have eaten in”
Review of Curry Roots

Curry Roots
Ranked #980 of 2,454 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Description: CURRY ROOTS is fresh-casual restaurants, serving fresh, fast, healthy meats and vegetables, prepared with Indian flavors and cooking techniques. CURRY ROOTS approach is to bring excellent quality food to masses.
Reviewed 8 June 2018

I am Indian and live in india. So I am familiar with and regularly eat Indian food at home and outside. While on a trip to the Silicon. valley went to Curry roots in the Oakridge mall in San Jose. The taste of the food(if it is Indian food) is as bad as it gets, The food is not just bland its tasteless(I dont much care about hot food myself), The Naan was really arabic bread not the Naan served with Indian food. The mint yogurt raita was one of the worst I have tasted. If you want to eat decent Indian food this is best avoided. I am surprised at so many positive reviews of this place.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

As soon as I walked in to the Food court at Oakridge Westfield just outside San Jose in California, I knew what I was going to eat.

I never seen Indian food in a Food Court done in this way, and done so well, from the crisp clean presentation that makes it stand out, it looks so comfortable in a crowded fast food dominated market, also it does it with such authenticity and high quality!!

As soon as I walked up, the team presented the dishes to me, offering tastes of what I would like. I am sure they do this a lot as convincing the US population that Indian food is not just great tasting but worth climbing over those stalwart burger and pizza stalls to get to. This is a big test for anyone.

I noticed that each main dish was kept in ceramic pots, so the dishes stew slowly and not stagnate in metal catering caddies. Secondly I noticed that the mix of meat and vegetarian options were kept apart and equally looked delicious. Having tried some amazing Street food in my travels I genuinely felt a similar vibe from this experience!!!

All the Indian classic options are provided from tikka masala, vindaloo, korma, paneer and even Chana! With offerings for appetizers and deserts all within keeping of a classic quality Indian restaurant.

I started with a vegetable samosa, the Indian version of an empanada, crisp on the outside and a perfect amount of pea, potato and spices. Dipped into some in house made mango chutney, these are delicious. I will be buy a stack when I return not just for a daily treat for my lunch but to educate my colleagues at work. They offer packs of samosas to take home!

For my main course, I went for Chicken Vindaloo, a hot creamy curry sauce with moist chicken pieces, with chunky potatoes cooling the palette every other spoonful enough to wake up the taste buds with a wave of spiced flavor each bite. With several choices for a side, I went with Lemon Turmeric brown rice, which complemented the texture of the vindaloo, adding more spices and depth to the experience. I eagerly moped up the additive vindaloo sauce and the remaining mango chutney with a individual baked naan!

To give the Curry Roots team credit, the food was fantastic, for a food court, and for a top Indian restaurant. This is a must visit for any Indian food fans, but also tell your friends!

Friendly service, knowledgeable and passionate people serving a taste of India! They ensured that everything looked and tastes fresh, none of that over stewed buffet type fare, none of the dishes had that classic unattractive separating of Ghee that some take out Curry dishes present. This showed that the executive Chef and their team took their time to perfect the food design, ensuring a format that hits the taste perfectly and maximizes the visual, in the food court style.

They offer ready meals and take home, with catering options. They are constantly creating new dishes and building a model that could have Indian food at a new acceptance level in America.

This is the first Curry Roots, and in a mall in America. It's totally worth a visit and a return! I was beaming after I left the mall, and it was all because of the curry! Let's hope they keep this level up, and we see many more in our food courts around the world!!!!

1  Thank Neal T
Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

A food place to enjoy Indian cuisines. The best thing was that the staff allow us to taste all the dishes before ordering. Their palak paneer and mango lassi is highly recommended

1  Thank End to End C

Been to Curry Roots? Share your experiences!