“A true French bistro experience. However the place is so noisy inside, you can't hear yourself, let alone anyone else.”
Review of L'Appart Resto

L'Appart Resto
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in San Anselmo
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Casual french restaurant, kids friendly (kid menu available).
Reviewed 28 May 2018

However the place is so noisy inside, you can't hear yourself, let alone anyone else. Do go in the evening and eat outside where you can enjoy the AND talk to your friends.

Date of visit: September 2017
OlivierCriado, Owner at L'Appart Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for your visit and your great review!!
See you again soon

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Love this darling French Bistro that serves wonderfully prepared food. We look forward to eating here and they have live music certain days of the week on their courtyard. Check out there website for details.

Date of visit: January 2018

Thank you Colleen for your great review, we are happy you enjoyed your time on the patio!
See you soon

Reviewed 9 November 2017

While we were evacuated from the wildfire zone in October, we had a peaceful, comforting dinner at L'Appart Resto. Wonderful food, well-prepared, and served with kindness. It was a warm evening and we enjoyed sitting on the patio.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 24 September 2017

OK. Is it just me or is this place just bizarre? I have tried going here as a local resident twice only to be vastly disappointed. The first occasion we were asked to sit at the cramped bar despite reservations. Granted the restaurant was packed that night. It had a lively crowd and good standard bistro fair (think moules frites and bevette steak). What I immediately noticed that time was that the local regulars seemed to get great attention as if it was a private party. Others such as ourselves were summarily ignored. We felt odd about the place and did not return for two years. So, one Indian summer evening I decided to make reservations again. I imagined sitting outside on their lovely patio. We arrived exactly on time to a restaurant that was 45% full. The very young girl at the door did not seem to know why we were there. We had to state twice that we had a reservation. She said, "are you so and so?" No we were not. She said she would return to get us in a minute. Then she returned and started to lead us to a table and said, "oh, and welcome." She took the two of us to the empty communal table for 12 in the middle of the room. I reminded her that there were only two of us. She said that did not matter since she would remove the two place settings next to us (as if that mattered). There were half a dozen empty tables for two around us. The waitress arrived and asked if we wanted something to drink. We said we would start with water and peruse the wine list to decide. We never received water until half way through the second course with the excuse, "sorry for the wait." Food arrived sloppily by a different bus boy each time. My soup was handed to me across the table unnecessarily so that I had to reach out and take it from him. All dishes were spilled onto the service plate.That seemed normal as I looked about the room. My special squash soup was thick and bland, although nicely warmed. I promptly encountered two black hairs which I tried to ignore. When I hit the third halfway through I had had enough. They never asked if there was something wrong as they removed the unfinished bowl. I ordered a starter lobster, corn and peach salad as a main. This was a tiny bowl of bib lettuce, unripe peaches and small bits of lobster. This was not an $18 salad as was charged. My companion's moules frites were delicious, however, with ample hearty broth and plenty of good bread which was replenished upon request. The fries were thin but sorrily limp and soggy. The white wines by the glass were limited. I was still hungry so we decided to share the peach melba which was a scoop of peach ice cream swimming in a cup of peach coulis. In the end the bill was over $100 including tip for two persons. Not a bad price for a good meal, but in this instance it was ridiculous for what was served. This experience was way too casual and unprofessional. It felt like going to a friend's house for a casual dinner and having their children serve you. I so much want to like this place as a local establishment and to complement what is already a fun dining scene. They advertise heavily and are always offering seasonal special menus and wine tasting nights. All of that sounds grand. The menu does have a a wider selection than many similar bistros. It is a lovely space with patio too. I guess you have to be a friend of the owner to participate. We will not be giving it a third try since there are so many better places to dine with a minute's walk.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Russ855
OlivierCriado, Owner at L'Appart Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Hello,
I am sorry we didn't reach our standards that night,
I understand your disappointment, and would like to insure you that I will be keeping a closer eye on my staff, front and back of the house to make sure this doesn't happen again.
I hope you will give us another chance soon to realize this is not the way we usually treat our customers,
Thank you for your feedback, it is really important for us to know when things don't go the way it is suppose to go.
Olivier

Reviewed 25 June 2017

The food is still good, but the limitations of the menu are more noticeable. Bread great. Service somewhat spotty, uneven, less responsive.

Date of visit: June 2017