“Quaint, charming and downright tasty. ”
Review of Patria

Patria
Ranked #6 of 347 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

I had the halibut special a few weeks ago and I am still thinking about it. So good! They serve the type of food that makes you dance in your chair. Everyone in our party was pleased with their meals. They make a delicious Vodka Gimlet too. The dessert take a while to arrive so I suggest ordering them a bit in advance if you are on the tight schedule. The service was prompt and friendly. We will be back.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

I've been to Patria's a number of times. The restaurant is nice, but the food is hit and miss. I've ordered the special on 3 occasions (always sounds good) and been disappointed each time. Ordering off the menu seems to significantly increase the chances of a good meal. My wife likes the place, but I would not recommend it.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank B9290VQwilliamb
Reviewed 28 February 2018

The moment my husband and I walked through the door, we knew we were going to love this restaurant. It has the warmest cozy ambience with details, details, details right down to authentic European (Fachwerk) architectural accents.
Although the restaurant is large, the space is divided so nicely each room has its own character including a room filled with cookoo clocks and yet it still feels intimate. I have rarely seen a restaurant here in the US that was able to so tastefully and accurately depict the Old World feeling. Oh and by the way, Kathy, our charming and friendly server explained to us that ALL the beautiful paintings on the walls were done by the owner Paulo! No wonder the interior is so beautiful, he is an artist!

As intrigued as we were with the interior, we were starved and could hardly wait to try the food!
We took Kathy's suggestion and started with the warm pretzel with sweet mustard! It was so perfect, it instantly brought back memories of pretzels served in quaint little village wine pubs in Germany. Wunderbar!

The menu is diverse and eclectic with dishes taking you to Italy (Tuscany), Switzerland and Germany. I was surprised to see one of my favorite rustic Tuscan dishes, Tagliatelle with Wild Boar Ragout or even the classic Wild Mushroom Risotto.
My husband started his meal with the Navy Bean Soup. It was a rich broth the kind you know simmered for hours with of course beans and veggies. Very nice start, not too heavy.
I opted for their masterpiece lasagne with a combination of meats, veal, pork and beef! Perfection! My husband decided on one of their signature dishes, the Schnitzel, which was done to a turn, but also served with braised Red Cabbage, PLUS homemade Spaetzle noodles! Our meal was OUTSTANDING and sentimental bringing back memories of so many similar dining experiences in Europe.

As we are in Lent, we passed on desert, BUT, we will be back soon to indulge.Their menu has me craving the Old World Specialties so rarely seen here in California.

To say we were impressed in an understatement! We left thrilled at the high quality of the food plus total European feel, all in downtiwn Salinas. We are so fortunate to have this restaurant locally and we intend to support it often!

Thanks Kathy for your lovely service and thanks Paulo for your great restaurant!

You will see us again soon!

Lourdes and Jeff

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank LCarolS
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Well, too bad I can't rate their food since we didn't even make it to the table when we decided to walk out. I made a reservation to celebrate Valentine's day on the 13th a day before. I told the guy over the phone it was two adults and a baby so he said ok I'll write you down for 3. When we get to the place the waiter did not have any customer service skills. She told us very firmly we only had a reservation for 2. I mentioned the guy over the phone reserved 3 seats for us. She said "well he only wrote you down for 2" that's when customer service and common sense kicks so we don't notice the mistake. It was a very cold night and we were waiting by the entrance with our 11-month-old baby and she basically told us she was waiting for a table to be empty so we can be accommodated even though we had a reservation. Who knows how long it would take before other customers would leave. I didn't get a wait time upon asking. that's when we decided to leave for another place. In a way it was good we didn't spend our money there if that is the kind of service you provide at the front of the line where you start making a good impression I don't want to know what happens behind doors

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 9 January 2018

I went to dinner at Patria's last week. Cioppinno was one of the specials ($25) and it was fabulous. The broth was delicious, and the seafood was done just right - everything tender and nothing over-cooked. It had salmon, shrimp, calamari, clams, and a large scallop. The bread sticks were good. My companion order the schnitzel, red cabbage, and spaetzle. I had a small taste and it was divine. Spaetzle was light and flavorful, the schnitzal was crispy and tender, and the red cabbage delicious. Wonderful dinner, excellent service, and a good time.

Date of visit: January 2018

Been to Patria? Share your experiences!