“Not excellent -- but close”
Review of kru

kru
Ranked #54 of 2,057 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

Met a friend for an early dinner. Ordered drinks, spicy tuna sushi, gyoza, calamari tempura and sesame chicken. First the drinks. If you're a whiskey person, the selection is vast and their offering of Japanese whiskeys is satisfying. The sushi was as expected. The gyoza is deep fried -- not what I had expected. The calamari was perfect. The sesame chicken was prepared well -- it needs to either be cut into bite size pieces or flatware needs to be provided. As served it's difficult to eat.
I'd return for their Happy Hour. Not sure if dinner would be on my list.
One last plug: ask for a sample of their pickled wasabi -- you'll be amazed at this yummy concoction. Because of their unique spin on wasabi I upped my review to Very Good.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

We had early (5pm) Saturday night dinner reservations and we are very happy that we chose to dine early. Our server and bus person were very attentive and the waiter was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The service was fast and the food was great. Everything came out of the kitchen in a timely fashion. The dining options ranged from standard Japanese restaurant fare to really unique, artful dishes with unique presentations. We had a great time and a great meal.

Other patrons around us were not quite so lucky. At 5 pm, when we arrived, the restaurant was fairly empty. By 5:30, it was essentially full. The party of 4 at the table immediately next to us, seated at about 5:30, had their food delivered in bits and pieces. One person's dish was completely forgotten until everyone else had finished eating. We could overhear that there would be no charge. A couple seated near us ordered their food at about 5:30, but I didn't see any food delivered for a full hour. So, the bottom line is that the food is great, but the kitchen and sushi chefs can't handle the rush of a full restaurant.

I do recommend this place, and we will return, but I suggest you try visiting at off hours, when the staff isn't overwhelmed.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

Stumbled into this one as we had business nearby and it was lunch time. What a wonderful surprise! The atmosphere and décor are very modern and nice, the staff very attentive and knowledgeable. We ordered 2 bento box lunches, the chicken katsu and the teriyaki salmon. Both dishes were fantastic. We also ordered the chocolate mocha cake for dessert and it was outstanding. We will return.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

The new facility is much larger and brighter, and has more of swanky big restaurant feel. We preferred the warmer feel of the old restaurant. I can get over that, but I was very surprised that the service and food had gone down, but not the prices. This is not a cheap meal, but because of the quality, we'd go there for dates or special occasions, but this time was different. To start they brought our beers, and the waitress poured it so that half the glass was foam and a fair amount spilled. She haphazardly cleaned the mess, and very casually said sorry, with no offer of a new beer - for the price, she should have offered that, and a more sincere apology. The food: The birthday girl ordered omokase which is $100+ per person. In the past each course was presented very formally with an explanation of the items. The majority of her courses were just set in front of her with no explanation. My husband ordered the chiriashi bowl @ $29, and it was not as good as our local sushi place offers for half the price. My daughter and I ordered various things, which we've ordered in the past with good results, but we were not impressed. The rice was not seasoned well, and none of the fish stood out in flavor. I lived in Japan for 3 years so I know good sushi, and Kru at the old location offered very good sushi, but the new location fell flat, especially at $286 for 4 people. Very disappointed. We won't be back.

1  Thank FoodiefromCA
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Fabulous food and drinks in a new location on Folsom Blvd. The service was fine. Location and atmosphere is great.