“Great place for soup and sandwiches, small but worth the wait.”
Review of Le Bonne Soupe

Le Bonne Soupe
Ranked #293 of 2,249 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 5 January 2018

This is a very small lunch spot on 8th street, between I and J streets. It is mostly take out as the seating area is minimal. The line is out the door every day. (Weekdays only) I met my brother there for lunch on a Thursday and I was very impressed with the quality, taste and value of the food. the specials change daily, the soup is the most popular item but we both had a sandwich and my brother had soup and I tasted it and it was amazing. My sandwich too was amazing. You have to get there early or the wait is long. Give them a try if your in the area. The chef/owner makes all the food and he has two employees who are very efficient and polite. They picked up our plates immediately after we finished eating.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 15 August 2017

I had to report to the Sacramento County Courthouse for jury duty, and I wanted to eat something nearby. I found excellent reviews of Le Bonne Soupe. The reviews were right! The location is obscure, but, based on the reviews and my experience, there seems to consistently be a line, and the line makes it stand out. I ordered a cup of yellow curry rabbit stew, the Paris Hilton sandwich (seasonal fruit, fig jam, warm brie and balsamic) and Honey Lavender Creme Brulee. Everything surpassed my expectations and even this review, and I will definitely be returning!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 16 February 2017

As a soup lover, I've been meaning to go here for years, but the location wasn't near me. Then I was summoned for Jury Duty.... My lunches here were excellent. Great soup options, and the sandwiches were creative and tasty.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 21 October 2016

They say great things come in small packages and nothing could be more true about this place. I was introduced to it by one of my co-workers and since then I visit it about 3 times a week. They have a rotating menu that varies based on what is in season. The sandwiches are delicious, my favorite being the Paris Hilton. The soups however, are absolutely a must try! I always order a large with half a baguette. My top faves are the Potato Habanero/Jalapeño Cheddar or the Cream of Mushroom. You can't go wrong with either.

The place is really small, there's only about five small tables inside and two outside. There's usually only two staff in there, the chef and the cashier - they're both really friendly! This is not the place to go if you're looking for a fancy sit down place, but you just can't go wrong with the food definitely worth the visit.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Overall the food here is excellent, a must to try out if your downtown. I went based on great yelp reviews and was not disappointed. From the outside and inside, looks a little dirty and old, but the food more than makes up for it. The head chef there prepares the food in front of you and it's ready in minutes. Ask him what he recommends that day, but honestly you can't go wrong. Ate there three times while in town on business, having the combo sandwich, soup, and drink combo for about $11. I had the tri tip beef, pork sausage, and crab melt, all excellent, fresh, SUPER tasty. Then I had the seafood soup twice and French onion soup, both awesome. The seafood soup is loaded with seafood, and is like a bisque. You can taste the homemade love in it in the food. Even the bread is delicious, and great for dropping in your soup. I would eat there again any day. Portions are good and the food is so delicious.

The bathroom situation is a little weird since its in the back down a hallway, and it's shared. I like to to wash my hands before I eat and I hate weird, out of the way, dirty looking bathrooms, so sue me. I knock one star off for that.

Cute little French tunes playing in the background too!

Date of visit: July 2016