“Top notch food for the daring and for the regular burger crowd”
Review of Cookie's Drive-In

Cookie's Drive-In
Ranked #51 of 64 Dessert in Sacramento
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 11 April 2017

I eaten buffalo before but I thought I might try something new this time like boar, elk, or ostrich. Nope, I had a plain ol' handmade 1/3# beef cheeseburger and fries but there was nothing plain about it except the shoestring fries. The meat is fresh and flavorful and cooked just right. The bun is fresh, too, and really hangs in there without falling apart after a few bites like so many fast food joint buns do. The onion rings were terrific. Everything was reasonable priced. We even had chocolate dipped cones for dessert! The family running Cookie's was really nice to us and helpful to my bother with his handicap walker. You can eat at a table inside or outside or take it home. Maybe next time I will go for an exotic meat... maybe.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

Its rare to find a place with buffalo burgers, let alone kangaroo burgers! The shakes and slushes are to die for! Gotta get the peanut butter shake! Everything is really good, and there is always room for folks!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Found Cookies online and thought I'd give it a try. Menu was ok. They do have exotic meats if you are into that, Boar, Ostrich, etc. Biggest down side was they are cash only (although they do have an ATM). Inside seating was very limited, maybe six tables. August was too hot to be outside for me. I don't see any reason to go back. Other burger joints nearby as good or better/bigger.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

During my stay in Sacramento, I pasted Cookie's 4 or 5 times before I finally stopped in to relive my younger days. I should have listened to my instincts when I rarely saw any cars there. It was better than a McDonald's but they days of fresh ingredients are definitely gone. The owner (I assume) wouldn't even trust the young worker to make my shake. At least the worker had plastic gloves on! I'll leave it at that and just say "listen to your instincts".

Reviewed 24 May 2012

GET THE TRIED AND TRUE--NOT the cool items
Formica Tables and vinyl chairs? - Yes.
Tiny Inside Dining? -Yes.
Free Sacramento Bee to read? -Yes
1950's Drive-IN? -Yes
Wall A/C in summer? - Yes
NOT a Corporate Franchise? -Yes
Concrete Al Fresco Dining for two? -Yes
BEST "Homemade" bun I have EVER FOUND anywhere else?- Yes

(I love In&Out, and Willie's (15th&B-way-Sac) too)
BUT COOKIE's BUN is why I come back for the HOMEMADE!!! Again and again.

I can only comment on the food I eat at Cookie's:
MY ONLY CHOICE since 1987: The "HOME MADE" w/cheese & onions.
Reason I like it: THE BUN-firm and chewy, not soft and fluffy; no mustard or catsup or sweet thousand island (special sauce?)
You must add your own--"Make it YOUR way"...AND they use NO plastic individual packets. (eco-great).. Yellow bottles are for mustard, Red are for ?, YES, you guessed it: Catsup/Ketchup--the red tomato stuff)

The crispy hot fries flow out of the small paper container. ASK for SMALL at Cookie's as it is a "super-size" elsewhere.

Since 1987 these are the only two items I have ordered off their menu:
- HOMEMADE w/cheese/onions,
- small fries. AND I AM SO HAPPY with what they serve me EVERY TIME!

My fear...I've seen the same person at the grill since 1987...appears to be family operated. What happens when one is no longer there. I do not see their children (do they have any?) step up.
I LOVE THIS PLACE!