Message from Tripadvisor:Temporarily closed
More Information

Ways to Experience Oakfield Park
from US$12.69
More Info
All reviews train ride walled garden santa experience steam engine santa express choo choo beautiful estate real treasure my mum open to the public upper gardens lovely food puppet show meet santa santa's grotto maze picnic
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 December 2019

Pros: The view is fantastic, the massive props make for gorgeous family photos and the train is fabulous! The elves employed here made this what it is. They were committed to a full performance the entire time and were so enthusiastic. We had a lovely time on the train and the lovely display at the end is great too with the little train going around. Mrs clause is also in a gazebo at the end presenting the kids with their elf school certificates, which was beautiful and made for great photos. The grounds and the staff are fantastic. Such an atmosphere and the tiny little train station is a cracker. A beautiful place and a lovely day out all in all. We got stuck behind a tractor and were late and the staff couldnt do enough to help us. Reception and train staff were so kind and so patient with the kids. So convincing as real elves.

Cons: Santa didnt smile in our photo and he was looking over to one side, for the second year in a row. It ruined the photo he looked a tad bored. The photographer was a tad stand offish and didnt interact with the kids at all. There is no actual elf school which we found misleading. We got a tiny paper cup of hot chocolate from a mobile coffee van at the end, out of 3 hot water canisters which were lukewarm. I asked for extra hot and she said yes and then had the brass neck to turn and use the same canister in front of us. She then half filled them all which quite a few of the adults next to us complained about and she became a tad defensive. My husband finished his in 2 mouthfuls. For €95 for 5 of us that's a bit much. I'd spend that kind of budget on a visit to somewhere you can have a sit down hot drink in a mug in the heat next time and perhaps a santa with glasses or a real beard or something like that. Small things make all the difference.

Date of experience: December 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2019

Hi Emma
Sorry that everything wasn’t to your satisfaction. Thank you for what is mostly positive feedback and for bringing our attention to a few things.
We just have to say that there is a full challenge with 8 challenges to become and elf and graduate with a gown with Mrs Claus.
You are also very welcome to get a hot drink in a mug in the restaurant which is open throughout the event.
Sorry that Santa wasn’t looking for the photo - the photographers should have taken another photograph and this is something that we will look into.
Anyway, thanks for the 3 stars for the positive elements in the first paragraph.
Happy Christmas.

Reviewed 14 December 2019

Myself and my youngest daughter visited oakfield today for the santa express train and all though I have been there before with our oulder kids today was even better..... it seems like they have really got everything right..... to start of with I made a mistake booking our tickets and phoned them up 4 days before going and without any problems I was able to change them.... once we landed the staff was welcoming and very helpful..... the train ride was brilliant..the grounds are spectacular and very much dedicated to make it for the kids.... we meet Santa and received a lovely gift which my daughter loved.... there is a photographer ther to give you the choice if you would like a photo with santa in a cardboard frame.... the return back on the train is longer and very enjoyable... once u get back there is loads to do.... buffers is a lovely restaurant which we had hot chocolate and cake... which for the two of us was only €10.50 well worth it.... plus there was a tent with render games another tent which I can't remember the name off.... which had face painting.. card making and art work plus a sweetie shop..... all this is free... (apart from the sweets) which I thought was brilliant because you didn't feel as if every corner you turned someone was trying to get money out of you....whill we were there i noticed I had lost my phone so started retracing our tracks and got speeking to a young girl in the restaurant who had served us either.... chantelle was her name this young lady went out of her way to help and used her own phone to track down mine...... even to the point that after we had left the restaurant telling her I had lost my phone she followed us to help..... it just goes to show how good the staff is to make you feel welcome...... this place is a must if you have kids and want a lovely day out..... well done oakfield and staff..... as we were leaving there was 3 coach's landed.... the place was so busy it had such a Christmas buzz about it..... on the way home my 7yr old asked can we go back next year.... yes we will.... you can spend hrs here and give yourself loads of time before and after train ride..... once again well done oakfield.....

Date of experience: December 2019

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review of The Santa Express. We’re delighted you had such a great time (and that you got your phone back!) - will pass on your comments to Chantel in Buffers.
There is a great buzz throughout the event and thank you for being part of that, making it fully booked out.
We really appreciate the positive comments.
Happy Christmas from everyone at Oakfield Park!

Reviewed 14 December 2019 via mobile

We send back again last night to this Santa express we had a real great time with kids we went to Rath wood last year which was very good too and have to say the Oakfield park is best Santa experience

Kids want to go back again I think that’s says it all ,we spent nearly 4 hours there so enjoyable

Date of experience: December 2019

Thanks for the kind review - I’m assuming after a trip from Cavan?
We really appreciate your comments and particularly the bit about The Santa Express being the best. Delighted the kids enjoyed it and want to come back as that’s what it’s all about.
Many thanks again and Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Reviewed 5 November 2019 via mobile

Halloween event

Was at the “ The Sleepers” last night, An event run by Oakfield Park in Raphoe and it was something else. I attach the comments that I sent to them this am and can recommend a visit

Thanks for a great night last night at “The Sleepers”, I was lucky to attend one of the first performances of War Horse and this was on a par with that.
The participants where fantastic and it was special that it was so interactive not to mention the effects and lighting department .
Congratulations to all involved the hard work really paid off in the end result

Ps Darned hard to photograph but am happy with some of the stuff

Looking forward to what’s in store for Christmas

Date of experience: November 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2019

Thank you so much for your review of “The Sleepers 2019”. We have had such good feedback so hope to run it again in 2020. We really appreciate the feedback and detailed information. See you at Christmas!

Reviewed 25 October 2019

We visited on a beautiful autumn afternoon, when the park was very quiet, so we had easy access to all facilities. First impressions were that the place is very well maintained and managed. Buffers restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and a wide range of choices on offer. Bathroom facilities are spotless. The train ride was good fun and a very relaxed way to tour the less formal gardens and quirky features. Overall a very enjoyable way to spend a half day or longer.

Date of experience: October 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2019

Hi Noel
Thank you so much for your thoroughly detailed and kind 5 star review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you again in the near future.