Open today: Closed
More Information

Ways to Experience Oakfield Park
from US$14.82
More Info
All reviews train ride walled garden santa experience steam engine santa express choo choo beautiful estate real treasure my mum open to the public upper gardens lovely food lovely place to visit wishing tree lovely walk puppet show meet santa
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 December 2019

Myself and my youngest daughter visited oakfield today for the santa express train and all though I have been there before with our oulder kids today was even better..... it seems like they have really got everything right..... to start of with I made a mistake booking our tickets and phoned them up 4 days before going and without any problems I was able to change them.... once we landed the staff was welcoming and very helpful..... the train ride was brilliant..the grounds are spectacular and very much dedicated to make it for the kids.... we meet Santa and received a lovely gift which my daughter loved.... there is a photographer ther to give you the choice if you would like a photo with santa in a cardboard frame.... the return back on the train is longer and very enjoyable... once u get back there is loads to do.... buffers is a lovely restaurant which we had hot chocolate and cake... which for the two of us was only €10.50 well worth it.... plus there was a tent with render games another tent which I can't remember the name off.... which had face painting.. card making and art work plus a sweetie shop..... all this is free... (apart from the sweets) which I thought was brilliant because you didn't feel as if every corner you turned someone was trying to get money out of you....whill we were there i noticed I had lost my phone so started retracing our tracks and got speeking to a young girl in the restaurant who had served us either.... chantelle was her name this young lady went out of her way to help and used her own phone to track down mine...... even to the point that after we had left the restaurant telling her I had lost my phone she followed us to help..... it just goes to show how good the staff is to make you feel welcome...... this place is a must if you have kids and want a lovely day out..... well done oakfield and staff..... as we were leaving there was 3 coach's landed.... the place was so busy it had such a Christmas buzz about it..... on the way home my 7yr old asked can we go back next year.... yes we will.... you can spend hrs here and give yourself loads of time before and after train ride..... once again well done oakfield.....

Date of experience: December 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2019

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review of The Santa Express. We’re delighted you had such a great time (and that you got your phone back!) - will pass on your comments to Chantel in Buffers.
There is a great buzz throughout the event and thank you for being part of that, making it fully booked out.
We really appreciate the positive comments.
Happy Christmas from everyone at Oakfield Park!

Reviewed 14 December 2019 via mobile

We send back again last night to this Santa express we had a real great time with kids we went to Rath wood last year which was very good too and have to say the Oakfield park is best Santa experience

Kids want to go back again I think that’s says it all ,we spent nearly 4 hours there so enjoyable

Date of experience: December 2019

Thanks for the kind review - I’m assuming after a trip from Cavan?
We really appreciate your comments and particularly the bit about The Santa Express being the best. Delighted the kids enjoyed it and want to come back as that’s what it’s all about.
Many thanks again and Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Reviewed 5 November 2019 via mobile

Halloween event

Was at the “ The Sleepers” last night, An event run by Oakfield Park in Raphoe and it was something else. I attach the comments that I sent to them this am and can recommend a visit

Thanks for a great night last night at “The Sleepers”, I was lucky to attend one of the first performances of War Horse and this was on a par with that.
The participants where fantastic and it was special that it was so interactive not to mention the effects and lighting department .
Congratulations to all involved the hard work really paid off in the end result

Ps Darned hard to photograph but am happy with some of the stuff

Looking forward to what’s in store for Christmas

Date of experience: November 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2019

Thank you so much for your review of “The Sleepers 2019”. We have had such good feedback so hope to run it again in 2020. We really appreciate the feedback and detailed information. See you at Christmas!

Reviewed 25 October 2019

We visited on a beautiful autumn afternoon, when the park was very quiet, so we had easy access to all facilities. First impressions were that the place is very well maintained and managed. Buffers restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and a wide range of choices on offer. Bathroom facilities are spotless. The train ride was good fun and a very relaxed way to tour the less formal gardens and quirky features. Overall a very enjoyable way to spend a half day or longer.

Date of experience: October 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2019

Hi Noel
Thank you so much for your thoroughly detailed and kind 5 star review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 September 2019

We stopped off at rural Raphoe in Co Donegal Ireland to visit the 'hidden gem' of Oakfield Park, home of Sir Gerry and Lady Robinson. Oakfield Park was built in 1739 as a Deanery for Raphoe Cathedral so it has a long history. When the Robinsons bought the property in 1998 they set about restoring it and altering the lower boggy fields and meadows into a fantastic children and adult's playpark. It was transformed into a sort of 'magic kingdom', populated by strange architectural features including a castle folly, a giant teapot, a wooden helter skelter structure, sculptured wooden knights and a large maze. Indeed you never know quite what you are going to stumble across round each corner.There are acres of woods divided by forest trails, quaint little bridges and lakes and streams with waterfalls. You can either walk these trails or jump on the superb Earl of Oakfield narrow gauge trainride, ( 4.2 kms), disguised as Thomas the Tank. We did both! ( The kids will love this! )
Did I mention the children's playpark, the Buffet snack bar, the wonderful scenery, the beautifully manicured gardens, the spotless toilets, the helpful young band of estate workers and the speciality days when there are Teddy Bear Picnics or the Harry Potter themed days/weekends?
It will be difficult to drag the children away from all this lower park fun but adults/grandparents, do not forget to cross the road to walk round and view the lakeside Nymphaeum, manicured formal garden/walled/kitchen gardens, and the collection of exclusive trees that surround and lead up to Sir Gerry & Lady Robinson restored country mansion.This upper area is not to be missed by spending all your time on the lower gardens! lol NB To see all quite a bit of walking will be required.
We strongly advise visiting Oakfield Park! We will have to return because there was so much more to see! Be prepared to spend a full day here.
The gardens are open to the public from May to August.There are over 100 acres of breathtaking vistas and walks with sculptures, wildlife and nature to enjoy.
We had no children or teddies but that didn't stop us having a fun day. Come and see it for yourselves! We were very impressed by the cheerful helpful staff and how much care and attention had been taken to ensure we had a good time. I was so impressed that I made 3 videos for my Youtube Channel ( Punch in Tom McClean into Youtube ), detailing our day of exploration.
Entry prices are less than we pay in N.Ireland to gain entry into our National Trust properties. We thought we git more than good value!!

Date of experience: September 2019
dwjf123, Manager at Oakfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2019

Thank you so much for the extremely detailed review, Tom.
We are delighted you got to see so much on one visit as you are correct in saying it takes a day to get around it all. We really appreciate the detail that you provided and the time you spent. Will go watch your video now!
Thanks again