“Avoid, very unprofessional, quality ahs gone way done from previous owners”
Review of Spruce Street Eatery - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Spruce Street Eatery
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I have eaten at Spruce Street Eatery for 5 years - probably at least twice a month. However, with the new owners and several tries now- I will not go back. Lately all of my experiences have been horrible. The quality of food, service and cleanliness has gone down with the new owners.
The quality of the food (meat is poor quality and not enough on the sandwich, salad wasn't fresh on two occasions) is not what it was and the serving sizes have really shrunk.
At 11:30 am, the bathroom was a mess. soap was everywhere and the small trash can was overflowing. Wish they at least had toilet seat covers! Shabby Sheik doesn't work with dirt.
My vegetable soup yesterday had only cabbage, canned peas, two small carrots but lots of cabbage cores and was too salty! The 1/2 tuna salad was stingy and had no real flavor (maybe it needs some celery or egg or something) just tuna and mayo -I can make that at home and it won't cost me $9! My co-worker and I had to order another half tuna sandwich to fill us up. It took 20 minutes for the second half of sandwich to arrive. We were the only customers in there. When she arrived she said, "oh you finished, I'm just in time". NO, we were waiting 20 minutes AFTER we finished our soup and 1/2 sandwich.
The new owners are very unprofessional. When I have lunch I do not want to hear about their credit card problems, or why they don't have something on the menu because they forgot to order, or I don't want to here what they are saying about the customer who just left. What do they say about us when we leave or when you leave???
I also am not impressed with cooks and waitresses(?) who walk around the kitchen in flip flops and jeans. and just seem sloppy. Who work the cash register and go back and handle food without washing their hands...
Oh, the owner's husband was there hanging out. Conversations were very unprofessional, service was slow and I don't need a monologue on their problems.
I go to lunch to get away from problems and enjoy my friend's company, not to make a restaurant feel better! I give good reviews when deserved (see Marmalade Cafe in Tustin) but I do not when I have had numerous bad experiences like the ones at Spruce Street. I don't think those signs flopping in the wind will help much unless they get their act together. Bye Spruce Street.

Reviewed 20 August 2008

This small sandwich shop in a business park is so easy to miss but is such a hidden gem. Wish is was a little cheaper but you can't find quality like this in any chain or even other delis. The owner is almost always there and just gives that special service/touch that you don't find any longer. The bread is amazing, 2" toasted sourdough slices or phenomenally soft wheat bread. Tuna melt's are incredible, love their veggie sandwich and oh the sides! Brocolli salad, never had anything like it, potato salad - you can tell its homemade, and pasta salad. Can't go wrong.

Reviewed 27 January 2008