See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

Cockroaches in bathroom, the owners live right upstairs and are extremely loud. Shower doesn't work only tub... No amenities whatsoever not shampoo soap or anything.. There was a towel with brown spots on it.. We had no other choices but to stay here I would never stay again.. Not a safe hotel it kind of has a prostitute look when you see the people walking around and thugs hanging outside

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2016

The people can only bring a place so far. A hotel room has to have a few basic things: cleanliness, enough towels, a toilet that works, a shower that works, hangers, shampoo, and no smells. Everything else is a bonus (like outside noises, etc).

Let's start with the people: All fabulous, from the check-in and the check-out to the cleaning staff. There were no hangers in the room at check in so I had to request them (seriously?). There was no soap so I had to request it (seriously?). All were brought with a smile, and very quickly.

The room was relatively clean. The comforters were very musty smelling, and we put them in the drawer to not distract us from sleeping. The toilet did not work. Flushing did not work. You had to hold the handle down for 5 seconds; it may have been a water rationing attempt, who knows. We did not try to make coffee until we were leaving, whereupon we discovered there was no coffeepot. Yeesh.

The hotel was pretty noisy for a few reasons: 1. Train tracks across the street. You heard trains whizzing by just when you would nod off. Bring ear plugs. 2. The motel surrounds the parking lot in a u-shape, so that all the cars that start-up at 6 AM or whenever totally wake you up. And people carousing in their cars in the parking lot in the evening? Their voices carry up to the second floor. A ground-floor room would better serve you in these instances.

The location was in between a few empty lots (now I'll know to Google maps these things in the future), giving this place a ghostly feel. But it is also relatively close to the downtown, so there's some benefit there.

I tried going "off the grid" with Trip Advisor reviews and chose this hotel (as compared to national chains that are known quantities) because I thought there might be some charm involved. I was in town for a wedding. Prices were comparable. But I have to be honest here: if you find the same thing from a known chain, I say go for the other.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

I absolutely love this hotel. Not only are the rooms awesome the staff who works there in the front office are seriously the nicest people I have ever came across in all the years that I've stayed at hotels. They have very clean rooms, Fridge, Microwave, its all around a great place to stay for sure if ur visiting Riverside. Oh yeah and if ur planning on going try calling the hotel to check there rate because surprisingly its always WAY cheaper doing it that way then going thru some online method.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2015

The shower did not work. No plug in the tub. Coffee pot with no basket. Who goes in a room and checks to see if the shower works? Well, I will from now on.
I am in town for a mandatory conference for a Charitable Organization and the housing committee did a terrible job of putting people in rooms. That is why I got stuck with this substandard lodging. The Thunderbird Lodge should not be on any credible site for Lodging.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms as far as I can tell
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2015 via mobile

We stayed here based on Trip Advisor ratings and the choice was just fine. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the courtyard parking was very nice. The room was big, clean and the bed comfortable. The A/C was a bit noisy, but overall a better than average stay.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple