“Good experience, weird location”

Courtyard Redwood City
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
Reviewed 1 December 2017

I stayed at the Courtyard for 10 days on business so I felt like I was here forever.

They put me in a room that was kind of in the back and across the hall from the stairs so I constantly heard people coming in and out of the stairs as the door slammed. That got annoying over time.

I had a nice view of the highway. The hotel location is tucked away on the other side of the highway from the rest of RWC and not walkable so you need to be driven to the other side to get to downtown. I was working in RWC and the Lyfts/Ubers are plentiful but around 8:30am very competitive. Some of the drivers aren't familiar with the hotel so you will have to direct them a little bit because it's close to the entrances and exits to the freeway.

It's a newer hotel so it has a more hip feel and the bed and furnishings are new. The front desk was very nice and they welcomed you to the hotel every time you arrived. I didn't have a chance to hang out in the public areas but it seemed like there were always people socializing or watching a game on the TV. They also offer little snacks around happy hour and the guys who work behind that area are also nice.

There is a small pool and a gym. The water canister gets replaced, I think, daily but it was out almost every time I walked through. I used the washers/dryers and they were good, no problems.

The one funny thing was that I didn't get a lot of refills on shampoo/conditioner. I thought I would get a new one every few days but I think out of 10 days I only got 2 replenishments. One time they took the old ones that I was using and just put it in the place where they put the new ones. My friends and I chuckled over that.

I would stay here again for work but I would also think about staying somewhere that was in easier walking distance to stores and restaurants. The only places you could walk were car dealerships and a weird new condo development.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank nycbuttercup
Arturo S, General Manager at Courtyard Redwood City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

nycbuttercup,

Thank you for your very detailed and fair assessment. I completely understand all of your feedback. Though we cannot control the location of our property, we can control everything else you mentioned. I'll be letting the team know about your feedback and should you find yourself booked at our hotel again, I hope you will reach out to me directly so I can ensure we've shored up the details (Arturo.Saavedra@Marriott.com). Thank you again for your feedback and especially for your compliments to the hotel and staff.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

The hotel is new - and seems to have opened before being completely finished. Pool is close for repairs, sparse furnishings throughout the hotel. Our room was a suite with the standard efficiency furniture - ended up with a big room with no furniture. The highway is VERY noisy - definitely not soundproof windows - kept me up all night. The dresser drawers were in the common area instead of the bedroom - very strange. The sliding door out to the balcony doesn't have a lock! Doesn't seem secure.

Room Tip: stay away from the highway!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Arturo S, General Manager at Courtyard Redwood City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry that the complimentary upgrade wasn't a particularly good fit. Thank you for letting us know about the lock. I will have someone check it today. The windows is are definitely insulated but I understand guests have different levels of sensitivity. I apologize it was not a restful evening. Thank you for the feedback and for staying with us. Take care.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Redwood City has not had many hotel choices, with travelers having to brave the US 101 corridor (a mess at most times) to find a decent, clean, quiet, and safe hotel to stay in. But look no further, the Courtyard Marriott has really stepped up the hotel game in the area - I stayed for business in October 2017, and will stay again when back. Everything was great, the rate, the service, the room, the decor, the water pressure, the hot water, the HVAC, the cleanliness, the bar, the dinner, the breakfast, the gym, it was just ALL dialed in, and very appreciated. The wifi was fast, the staff was friendly - everyone was paying attention and making my stay great. This is by far the best Courtyard I have ever stayed in, and was way above what I was expecting from this Marriott chain. Definitely a change in the right direction. One note about the $14 parking fee; in this area, you're exceptionally lucky finding a decent hotel that will charge you less than $20 to self-park. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Arturo S, General Manager at Courtyard Redwood City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thank you for what I consider to be the Best Review of the Year for the Courtyard Redwood City! WOW! You really hit all the points in a fabulously concise way. We've had our challenges in our first 7 months since opening but it's nice to see we are hitting our stride. Thank you for your positive survey and and encouragement. I hope you'll stop by and say hello next time you find yourself in the area.

All the best,

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Choose this newer Marriott Courtyard due to its location near the San Francisco airport and its great price of only $119 for our room on a Friday night. No complaints about the comfortable rooms, helpful staff and the large bar/restaurant area just off the lobby. I was a little miffed about the $14.00 parking charge when they have their own parking, but hey its California and every hotel seems to charge for it.

We found a number of restaurant choices nearby and were pleased with our stay. It was maybe a 20 minute ride to the airport in the morning. There are other Marriott properties slightly closer to the airport such as a Fairfield Inn, Courtyard and Springhill Suites all similarly located just off CA 101.

After paying over $200 a night for nearly all our hotel stays on this California vacation, it was nice to see a beautiful new property at only $119 a night.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Arturo S, General Manager at Courtyard Redwood City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Nick,

Thank you for the very nice review. Sorry about the $14 parking. It is relatively common in this market. I appreciate the kind words and am glad you were able to enjoy a great value on a Friday night. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the area. Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Stated this court yard twice for business and it is a relatively new hotel so everything is functional clean and crisp. The bistro area is larger than most courtyards I have been to in the past. Staff is always friendly and helpful. They do have a fitness center and it is bigger than just two treadmills and a bicycle though still rather small for the avid exercise fanatic. My only real complaint is the parking and not that there isn't enough parking but that they charge you the daily rate for parking when the parking garage is attached directly to the building and there is no valet. Other than that nice hotel quiet and comfortable as a hotel can be.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Tony, thank you for the nice review. I apologize for your frustration with the parking fee but it is relatively common in this area, sir. That being said, I appreciate your understanding and I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the area.