New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
San Francisco, California
“Nice Resort, Parking Can be a Pain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed here over presidents day weekend and arrived around 10pm on Friday night. We drove to the front and the valet holds your car so you can check in and drive around to your room as the property is really spread out. That process was quick and the staff at the front were professional and friendly.

We drove around to our building and there was no parking anywhere close. This would happen each night when we got back from dinner. Not a huge deal, but sort of a pain. Not sure if it was just because of the long weekend.

We were upgraded to a room with a golf course view. This was nice, but I'd recommend being on the second floor as when you're on the first, you really can't keep your drapes open as everyone can see in. For this reason, we didn't get a lot of light in the room, nor did we sit out on the little patio. The room itself is your standard westin room, everything was fine, but they seriously need to put some plugs by the bed - anything you need to plug in you'll have to go digging behind the TV or something. I also didn't like that they had 2 fridges in the room, one empty one for your stuff and one stocked mini-bar, the kind that auto-charges if you lift anything out. While a nice thought, I think this is a waste of energy - it's better to have the non-auto one and then people can just take stuff out if they have something they need to refrigerate. it's not like there's a kitchenette or anything they'd be able to use to heat up leftover food.

The bathroom was pretty spacious, I like that there was a huge table in there that you could put your stuff on, in addition to the double sinks.

We didn't eat at the hotel at all and I got out for a walk once - the place is huge and lots of area to walk. They also have golf carts driving around that will pick you up and take you where you need to go if you want.

We spent about an hour at the pool one day - many chairs were filled and the only ones left in the sun were in an open cabana so we sat there, but were quickly shooed out of there. We order drinks and those came fairly quickly, the mojito was tasty, but it was odd, we waited for a while for the waiter to check on us/bring the bill and he didn't, then we started packing up to leave, he saw us and still didn't check in with us, so we figured we didn't have to sign anything. We got back to the room and he called to the room to have us verbally sign off, which was a little awkward when it came to giving a tip.

We also got massages at the spa and I really enjoyed this, so did my husband. They don't have an extensive area (no sauna), but I enjoyed the therapy pool (co-ed) and the steam room before my treatment. My therapist was good and so was my husband's. The walk to the spa can be a bit far, I just headed back on my own, but my husband waited and showered there, then they just called a golf cart to take him back to the room, so they can always do that.

There is a pricy resort fee, which is always annoying when I feel like I'm paying for the room, paying for a spa treatment (so obviously get access to the spa) and besides an hour at the pool (which I feel like I paid for with a $25 drink tab), and not using any other part of the resort, yet getting charged. It is what it is though - sometimes you can find deals for hotels on Travelzoo that will waive the resort fee.

The location is okay - especially if you plan on just staying at the resort, golfing, going to the pool, etc. But it wasn't quite warm enough for that, and we headed out to the tram, to Joshua tree and ate dinner in Palm Desert, Cathedral City and Palm Springs, so it seemed that every time we left the hotel, we were driving at least 15 minutes to get to our destination.

We're big fans of Starwood and the stay was fine, but I think i'd stay somewhere in actual Palm Springs next time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor for more privacy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laurengucsb
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear laurengucsb,

Thank you so much for your recent review. We appreciate all your comments and welcome your feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed the many amenities of our facility and hope you will join us again soon. Please feel free to contact us in the future so we can assist with your preferred room location. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Be well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We are owners at the Westin Mission Villas next door and often stay at this hotel as well. In the past, the hotel has offered better service than the villas and has a nice overall relaxing feel. However, out most recent stay was disappointing.

We had booked a large 900 square foot suite for this stay of two nights. We were given a bottom floor room upon check-in at 3pm and were told there were no other rooms available for the top (2nd) floor. We have had noise problems with staying on the first floor before, but thought it might be OK this time. However, both mornings, we were woken up at 5am due to significant noise from the occupants in the room above us which lasted until 6:30am. It literally sounded like people walking across the room with ski boots and people moving furniture. The second morning my husband went upstairs to see if it was housekeeping, but it turned out to be two old people who just liked to get up early. Thus, the buildings are not constructed very well and I recommend you stay in a second floor room at this hotel.

It was also surprising to me to find that housekeeping did not replace any of the shampoo/conditioner/bath items when they serviced our room. When I called to ask for two pillows and a blanket for our fold-out couch for our kids, a man just showed up with one pillow. Additionally, our TV remote wasn't working and the double doors to the suite bedroom did not stay closed. The suite is large but looks like it was built in the 1970's with the dining room table design and the cottage cheese ceilings.

The other issue was that there was a car show being held at the resort and nothing was said to me upon check-in about this event or that our room faced the grassy area where the cars would be placed. At 7am the second morning - after the people above us had quieted down - we heard loud noisy cars being driven by our room for the next hour. If I had known this, I would have requested a room on the other side of the resort.

Finally, at the end of the pool towards building six, there was an on and off horrible smell. It smelled like sewage and the couple net to me remarked on how bad it smelled, too. It is worth noting that the resort might have a recurrent sewage problem because the last time we stayed here, there was a sewage repair truck parked in the grassy area by building six.

All in all we like this resort, but it really needs to improve its service. As gold members and owners - and due to the fact we were paying lots of money to stay here in a suite- we expected much more.

The kids club was excellent and the buffet breakfast was well stocked.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear DiveLoverLosAngeles,

Thank you for your recent review. We'd like to extend our apologies for your challenges during your recent stay. We have notified the various departments with your comments. We appreciate the time you took to explain and offer your feedback as this will allow us to improve our services. We're thrilled your enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the Kids Club and hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in the Westin. We hope to see you again soon and please feel free to contact us should you need assistance in booking your stay with us in the future. We would be happy to personally handle your request.

Tustin, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our room was very substandard for 400.00 a night with all the taxes and fees. As a matter of fact its pretty much a rip off.
My platinum card guarantees me a late check out and when asked to take advantage of this perk I was told that they will not be able to accommodate me since they where booked up. There is no way they where full so this was not accurate.
I will not return to this facility.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark P,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to gain your confidence back in the Westin. Please feel free to contact us directly if we can assist you further. We strive to provide the best possible services for our guest so you may enjoy and unforgettable getaway.

Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My room (943) was not of a quality that matched the cost. The TV had very poor reception (called and reported that with no response) the toilet ran unless jiggled repeatedly, and the cabinet doors that covered the refrigerator fell off the hinges and could not be closed again when opened. Again, I would expect things like this in a budget hotel, not a high end facility.
I was left a message telling me they had a "welcome gift" for me and wanted me to come to the lobby to retrieve it. I never had time to go do that. Why not deliver those to the rooms rather than making someone seek it out themselves? Nice idea--just poorly executed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear kmdlamb,

Thank you for your most recent review. We appreciate your comments and feedback. We'd like to extend our apologies for the challenges in your room. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide superb service the Westin was founded upon. We hope to see you again soon.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

As family vacationers in the midst of corporate conference activity we felt wholly unwelcome. The pool adjacent to our requested rooms was closed for private corporate parties on two of the three days of our visit and resort staff was indifferent to our frustration. Service, room decor and detail were not up to the standards we have enjoyed and appreciated about other Westin properties. This was a disappointing stay and a property that we will not recommend to others. There are many fine resort options in the Palm Springs area. This is not among them.

Room Tip: Not sure it's possible with centralized booking. On-site staff were neither friendly nor helpfu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cak14
Dear cak14,
Thank you for your most recent review. We'd like to extend our apologies for the challenges you faced during your stay. At the Westin we strive to provide the best possible services for our guests so you may enjoy a relaxed enchanting experience. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to discuss you stay with us as we would hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
12.2 km away
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!