“Will return again, but for the price, they missed the mark.”
Review of Il Forno Classico

Il Forno Classico
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: We specialize in fresh made Italian style dishes; Hand Tossed Pizzas, freshly sautéed pasta, fresh seafood-like salmon, halibut, scallops, and shrimp and fresh Angus beef.There is an exhibitionary kitchen in the main dining room, a full bar, a wine shop and private room as well as two outdoor patios.The wine list is a five time Wine Spectator Award Winning List. We feature over fifty wines by the glass; our specialty is west coast Cabernet sauvignon with over 200 selections. All wine is available to purchase to go at standard retail or less. In the restaurant the most it would cost is $14 over retail. The wine shop also doubles as a private dining room that can accommodate up to 30 sit down or 40 as a cocktail party.Two outdoor patios are in front of the restaurant for those who enjoy people watching.
Reviewed 15 November 2017

As other reviewers have mentioned, the bread is excellent. The calamari was really good with a zesty dipping sauce, the ratatouille is great, and the wine suggestions were right on the money. Unfortunately the veal scallopini was not in league with everything else on account of the meat being dry and a bit chewy. The server's attitude changed when he asked if our meal was up to par, and I explained that the veal fell short. He pretty much ignored us for the remainder of the time we were there, other than to handle the bill. Meh...

1  Thank stevepeck2017

Reviewed 28 October 2017

I dropped in for a glass of wine while waiting for an appointment, and I found the service indifferent at best. The hostess was something between imperious and hostile when I first arrived and was worse when I popped by again to ask if she could lower a shade to shield me from the setting sun; ditto when I asked if she could send my server by. Maybe the restaurant doesn't welcome folks dropping in solo, just for a drink, even at the 4:30 hour ... The server was inattentive, but I think this is because she was overstretched. She did not have the hostile attitude of the hostess when she interacted with me.

Nice selection of wines by the glass.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

There were four us and we all decided to have Halibut, what a great decision. It was fantastic and the risotto was unbelievable.

We only had room to share deserts which had to be creme brûlée which was fantastic.

Will absolutely return

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I read one of the reviews, a mediocre one and had to laugh. They said the halibut dinner was fried and like fish and chips.

As luck would have it, I had that last night. It is nut encrusted, baked and absolutely delicious served with a great Risotto.... Some reviewers.....

Anyway, there menu is a wide array of very tasty food, from one of the best burgers in town, to great wood fired pizza, to eggplant fritti, to some scrumptious pasta dishes to high end sea food and steak dishes. They've got it all.

They also have THE best wine list/ wine shop in town and the bartenders know what they're serving and a great Happy Hour.

They are often packed, especially during peak hours so the servers stay really busy trying to make everybody happy.

Outdoor seating is very nice on cooler nights and the private room in the wine shop is great for parties and quieter private dining.

Other than Happy Hour menu which is good, it is pricey for the area but isn't "too" pricey.

The fact that it's always packed, about says it all.

Scott L, Owner at Il Forno Classico, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Hello Steve,
Wow, I love your review and your response to the other review. You should write our advertising for us. I am so happy that you really enjoy yourself when you come in. The staff and I are always trying to impress and make repeat customers out of everyone that walks in. Hope to see you soon, take care. Scott

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

We have been fortunate to visit Italy and its 20 regions many times in our 78 years of life. Seldom will you find a restaurant with the joie de vivre of this wonderful find in Gold River. From the moment you enter the restaurant until you leave, every one is so attentive and friendly.

However, the stars are the food and wine list! It is Italian food from Italy and a wine list on steroids. We started with wine from Raymond Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. We added a pizza combination and it was delectable! My wife and I both had the spaghetti pomodoro and it was fixed to perfection, with sauce or gravy as they say back East, which was excellent. My wife then had the gelato and I had a cappuccino. My wife is somewhat of a gelato expert and she said it was some of the best gelato she had ever eaten! We are taking two of our kids to the restaurant this Saturday for dinner. Our son is married to an Italian from Sicily and I will let you know of her feelings for the restaurant.

Hello David,
Thank you so much for the awesome review. I am so glad you have enjoyed your experience last time. You and your wife had some of my dishes. I love the Salted Caramel Truffle gelato as well. I hope your son and daughter in law enjoy themselves as much as you and your wife. See you soon, Scott