All reviews pine trees lots of character beautiful grounds in town late at night the wi fi her husband plumas county tracy ranchero motel forest charm creek motorcycle renovation picnic
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Cozy place to stay at in a town with few options. It has character and is clean. Would definitely stay here again. And...got a free beer coozie! What other hotel does that??? Everything is newly painted and w great picnic and bbq courtyard is available.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 21 July 2017

Front buildings are old spanish style and loaded with charm, back buildings have less character but they have a lot of trees around them so you feel like you're in the woods. Mattress was good. TV and WIFI not so good, which is typical for this area. Our bedroom was reasonably clean but a bit dusty, bathroom was mostly clean but had old cracked caulking around tub with mold down in cracks. Definitely needs a bathroom renovation because it can't be cleaned properly the way it is. Not much space to set your toiletries in the bathroom. AC unit worked fairly well (only some of the rooms have AC) but it was pointed directly at the bed with no louvers to adjust up or down to let us avoid the direct airflow, and it was too hot to turn it off. Walls were thin (in back building, front buildings may be different) and we could hear the neighbors talking, snoring, etc. The biggest problem was the cigarette smoke. There are ash trays and chairs in front of every room so when our chain smoking neighbor was out there, which was a lot, she was smoking just a few feet from our door and a lot of smoke came into the room. Turning off the bathroom fan and turning on the AC helped a bit, but just as the smoke was clearing she and here friends decided to go smoke out back for awhile so they filled the bathroom up with smoke. We had to keep the doors & windows closed most of the time, even when it was cool, and one night we even stuffed towels and kleenix around the door to try to keep smoke out. Would be 2 stars but it is charming, quiet, the owner was very nice, and if you don't have a smoker next door you'll probably be alright, but don't stay here if you have a mold allergy. One quirk is there are assigned parking places, but if someone parks wrong, like the smoker next door did taking up half our spot, then all the parking can get screwed up and there didn't seem to be any extra spots anywhere near the back buildings.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
RanchitoMotel, Owner at Ranchito Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

We're so sorry to hear your neighbors were chain smokers. There is little we can do to prevent this. Even if we did not provide ashtrays outside the room people who chain smoke will still do so, ashtray or not. The difference is they throw their butts on the ground instead. To address the AC units there is a button on every brand new, installed this year unit that says "swing" that button rotates the direction back and fourth so it does not direct at the beds only. Walls are standard 2x6 construction with insulation so Your chain smoking neighbors must have been extra loud too. If you would have contacted us we would have been happy to have a word with them discretely regarding your concerns. They however had concerns about you as well, sorry to say. They claim you talked to them about their smoking right after they checked in and they tried to not smoke around the room at all after that. Don't know who was making up stories to make theirs sound better nut After checking out all the motels in Quincy you chose us because we were the nicest. As far as mold goes, I admit there were a few small spots that although we treat with clorox every day, we just can't seem to get rid of the spots. After my leg amputation I am limited as to what I can do but I am soon able to recaulk the tub to eradicate the issue altogether. We will be happy to address your concerns and make sure you do not receive a room with these issues in the future and also we will be happy to extend a discount to help you financially as well.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

The people that own this motel mare the best. We were traveling with friends on motorcycles. One of the bikes broke down and needed to stay in town for a few days. This was were we stayed they went out of there way to make sure we had a room and whatever we needed. Older room but very cool everything you need is there. Beautiful grounds to just relax . Very friendly town people go out of there way to help you out.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2016

I've stayed at this motel 5 years ago and wanted to stay again this year to see the fall colors. The front desk person who attended my reservation call provided the rate ($95 per night) and collected my credit card info etc and confirmed my stay for 3 nights (2 adults and 2 children - 9 & 1 year old's). I was told that the manager (Tracy Wixted) is out that day and the reservation confirmation will be emailed in 24 hours. Since I didn't see the email in 5 days, I called to check on it and Tracy attended the call this time.

I'm not sure what happened to her (may be a very bad day for her!!), she wasn't the person I met 5 years ago in our last stay there. She talked so rude and started saying "This is the biggest room I have here and I just can't give it for $95. We are here to make money and we can't have the whole family coming here and staying for 3 nights, taking shower etc and is expensive to maintain". I was shocked to hear her response! I wasn't bargaining for the rate at all; the purpose of my call was to check on my reservation confirmation email. I would have been even OK with the new rate ($135 per night) she was proposing. She also added "I am the owner of this property and I don't care what the other front desk person, who is new, promised to you" and she just dropped the phone! Her response really threw me away!

This is not a review of the property (it's just OK, not so great and we don't expect 5-star facility in a city like Quincy) but this is a review for the management. Really felt upset about the treatment I received. Sorry, can't think of staying there any more :(

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Rajesh S
RanchitoMotel, Owner at Ranchito Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2016

Not sure what prompted you to bash us in this review. Tracy is the friendliest person in the world (read our other reviews). While I'm sure you remember the events as you described, your review is a bit of an embellishment of the actual events. We asked the employee who took your reservation and she claims never to have promised an email confirmation in 24 hours, neither did Tracy when we returned three days later. Tracy did try to explain that our new employee misquoted your room rate by $40 dollars a night but you bullied Tracy until she accepted the $95 room rate and "verbally confirmed your reservation" as it has been done here for 70 years. We are a small 30 room motel in the mountains and don't run our business like the chain motel/hotels, we try to offer a more personal touch. Tracy did decide to send you an email confirmation after your insistence at 7:30pm for a different room at the discounted rate and you accepted everything as she confirmed (by email). Even though we accommodated your room needs at the quoted price and email confirmed your reservation you emailed an hour after we had gone to bed to insist on another email and when you did not receive your late night second email reservation confirmation (what was the big deal with that anyway?) you emailed again later that night to cancel your room. We are sorry you could not accept our failure to stay up all night monitoring emails (we do sleep too), but we hope you found adequate accommodations for your visit for fall colors. We have done extensive remodeling of the rooms and grounds to make our guests comfortable and their stay as pleasant as possible. We feel you really missed out by insisting as you did for multiple email confirmations.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

got a room in the back area where the "garden seating" is and also the stream. Its very peaceful. The front is where the trucks park (of course) so it can be noisier in the morning when the folks leave. While older, the room had a fridge, microwave, and an air conditioner unit. No complaints because it had what I needed. The owner was friendly and gave us a dinner recommendation that was perfect.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back due to noise.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business