“It felt like going back in time!”
Review of Abalone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Abalone Inn
Reviewed 30 August 2016

The Abalone Inn is a beautifully romantic and scenic getaway.
Our hostess, Donna, and proprietor of the Inn, welcomed us warmly and graciously left us baskets of delicious local muffins and cheese and fruit each day.The rooms are very cozy, well appointed,and private with gorgeous views of Inverness and Point Reyes out every window.
We stayed in the top room.The gardens outside are lovely.The hot tub is very inviting at sunset and early evening.The setting immediately takes you away from the tick-tick-took world. We coudn't imagine a better vacation weekend.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2016

I'm writing this review to add to those voices who loved staying at the Abalone Inn, and who found Dona to be a sweet, thoughtful, and doting hostess. We came to Pt Reyes for a nighttime kayak trip and were looking for an affordable place to sleep. It is important to appreciate the AI for what it is - a taste of a time gone by, a chance to experience genuine Northern Marin local culture, and a somewhat fragile, 100 year old house. Yes, Dona does drill you about the 'rules' and I understand others are offended. I might normally be one of those, except we knew going in this was not a 'conventional' bed and breakfast. I reserved months in advance and she made me clear the rules with my wife before accepting my payment :-) Many people are enchanted by the authenticity of the location, and the genuine concern she is expressing for the other guests. It is a shared space after all, though each room as it's own private bathroom. I don't mind taking my shoes off to keep the noise down, and I don't mind being asked and reminded to lock the door when we leave. If you do, just don't stay here! Leave it for the chill folks who enjoy it for the unique experience it is, and can appreciate the charm. (I should add after returning late from the luminescence kayak trip we drank a bottle of wine to unwind and were smokers at the time. Dona was totally cool, just asking us to party on the 1st landing of the stairway rather than on the front porch).
I would go back. It is a great location for exploring the area.

Room Tip: This is not a corporate hotel, it is a shared living experience. The garden room is probably the le...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charles P
Reviewed 15 December 2015

This is a home with two rooms and a shared kitchen downstairs and private space upstairs including kitchenette and bath. Rental includes an excellent breakfast composed of fruit, great muffins, and either egg or yogurt. Donna is a warm and friendly host who is very present without making you feel that she is in your space.

We took the upstairs room for an extra $40 because we were expecting rain for one of our 3 days. It rained down and we spent a snug day enjoying the views from the windows, taking a walk to the deli when it was not raining and using the hot tub.

The other two days were spent on day trips to the nearby Pt Reyes National Recreation Area, and a trip into town of Pt. Reyes Station for a good meal. The Inn was a good central location for all of that.

I would recommend the upstairs that we took for a family with small kids any day.

Room Tip: If you plan to be out more than in, take a room downstairs.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2015

My partner and I really enjoyed staying at the Abalone Inn. Dona, the proprietor, is a very warm and welcoming person. She gave us excellent tips on things to do and see in the area, including special events going on just during the weekend we were there. The house is very sweet, comfortable, and relaxed. We can definitely recommend this place to anyone interested in an easy kick back, no frills kind of vacation. Very easy to get into Point Reyes Station, Inverness, and, of course, the coastline. Cannot recommend the Elk Hike enough! Pack water and plenty to eat!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2015

I stayed at the Abalone Inn for four nights following a work trip in San Francisco. I was looking to get away from the crowds of the city and spend some time hiking in Point Reyes National Park. Donna was a charming hostess, and gave me helpful tips of coastal areas to explore, good hiking paths, local bakeries, etc. I stayed in the Starlight Room, which was a perfect fit for me. I especially appreciated some of the Inn's individualities that Donna briefed me on before I came--not wearing shoes indoors, not flushing toilet paper, etc--because they made me feel like I was staying in a friend's home rather than a hotel. Sometimes when I came back after a day of hiking, I'd find a bowl of fresh plums in my room, which Donna picked while I was out. Breakfasts were tasty and healthy, the atmosphere was quiet and restful, and compared to many B&Bs in the area, the price was very reasonable. If I am ever in this area again, I will definitely plan to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
4.4 km away
Point Reyes Hostel
Point Reyes Hostel
#1 of 1 in Point Reyes National Seashore

Been to Abalone Inn? Share your experiences!