All reviews gold country love history gold rush small kitchenette queen suite downtown placerville wine tasting apple hill continental breakfast free parking within easy walking distance two nights third floor mini fridge elevator lobby haunted
Reviewed 22 October 2017

I was a quite harsh in the original comment. It is a quaint, charming old hotel. Not up to date with all the amenities of today. A 'caged' elevator! A comfortable, but not elegant room. The one big flaw for us was the lack of hot water. (No shower!) They did refund one night's room charge due to the water. Located in downtown Placerville. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. Would stay there again for the atmosphere.

Room Tip: We had a 4th floor room. The elevator was a kick!
1  Thank RAY A
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Staff was fantastic!! Front desk is friendly and very helpful. Location is PERFECT!! Walk out the front door and you have restaurants, shopping and bars....I love this place!! Love the juice and coffee available in the morning for free.(lobby). Price is very good. Could use a little updating (dresser the TV was on/carpet) I would (and will) return to The Cary House every time I come to Placerville. Thank you for a great stay!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Balcony over looking Main Street
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank sandy k
Reviewed 4 October 2017

This hotel has an incredible history! The elevator is 100 years old and the rooms are all named after people who stayed at the hotel long ago. We stayed in the Mark Twain room. It had a lovely, antique desk and an old typewriter to illustrate the famous writer's influence. It was a corner room so we had a window on two sides. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was adequate. The staff was very welcoming and helpful.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

My wife and I recently stayed at the Cary House Hotel. We were so impressed, we've already made reservations for our next stay — Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The staff was warm, welcoming and accommodating. Fortunately they were prepared for an early checkin. We got settled in early and began our Placerville adventure.

My wife is VERY picky about beds. Our bed was so comfortable, I had to coax her out of it so that we could get on with our travels.

For anyone who has followed my posts, you know that I've stayed in old historic hotels all over the US, Europe, the Caribbean, and many other areas of the world. This hotel is old and historic. With that history comes some creaks and things like, it can sometimes take the hot water a bit to get to the room ... small price to pay for the warmth, charm, and sense of place!

There's a shared balcony that faces Placerville's quaint downtown. In addition, there's a little outdoor atrium hideaway near the coffee room. It's perfect for enjoying that morning cup of joe, while perusing the guides to local highlights.

The hotel is central to everything in town, and outside of town, like access to Apple Hill, a plethora of fabulous wineries (I'm a Certified Sommelier) and other Gold Country delights.

Oh yes, bonus ... this old gem of gracious hospitality comes with ghosts! What more could anyone ask of an historic lodge!?

Room Tip: I like the interior rooms away from street noise. My wife likes the balcony — that's for our next trip. Try a kitchenette.
Reviewed 2 October 2017

I stayed in, very beautiful rooms. frig and microwave. a TV in every
room. living room and bedroom. very soft beds. and feels like home to me. my sister lives in Pollock pines. was a great time to visit her and enjoy the shops and good eats. price to good, too. staff very helpful. juice and water also.

Room Tip: I prefer corner rooms, they have balcony also. tables and chairs to view the shops
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family