See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I strongly suggest guest read the reviews before booking these rooms. The operators own both Mother Load Lodge and Gold Trail motor lodge.

Both my father and I searched for hotels in Placerville via a simple Google search on the drive from SoCal. The prices ranged between 70-80 dollars. We booked a room via Expedia clearly indicating there were 2 guests. The charge was 88 dollars after taxes. We explicitly put in the notes that we request 2 separate beds.

Upon arrival we were asked to stay at the Mother Load Lodge because they didn’t have two beds available at Gold Trail. We drove next store to check in. The total charge to my card was $157.80. They increased the price to $107.80 PLUS charged another $50 dollars deposit.

The women was EXTREMELY RUDE and completely unaccommodating. It was to late (10:30pm) to dispute the charge and find some where else to stay.

I gave them a two because the rooms were clean.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Ryan M
motherlodemotel, Owner at Mother Lode Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

You have reservation for one bed and you want to change to two bed, one bed and two bed has prize difference, and you don't want to pay difference neither you want to sleep with your father. then why you have made reservation for one bed? When my wife show your reservation print out and explain prize difference you still pushing for two bed in same prize. Not possible with us. Thank you

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

I come to the area several times a year for business, and I believe this is my fourth stay at this hotel. Hotel? Motel, l guess. Everything that you read about it in other reviews is true, my room was clean, but the front desk after I checked in was rude to the extent where I felt I was hung up on when I called to ask a silly question about how the shower control knob worked. Honestly, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I found it a little confusing and the front desk person, whose name I believe was Rachel, responded very abruptly that the water was working and hung up! No mention of how to work the control, no pleasantness at all. After I checked in, this girl wanted nothing to do with me. Maybe she was just having a bad night, if things get better over the next day and a half I will make a note.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Patrick K
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I had to go to the Better Business Bureau over this place. My wife and I were scheduled to stay there in May, but one of the people we were going to visit died. I asked for my deposit back, but the owner said they had a one-week cancellation policy and I had only given them four days. I told him I would take him to small claims court and he said "make my day." Small Claims court people told me it was hard to collect. So I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, explaining what had happened. They forwarded my complaint to him for a response. After a month, he had not responded, clearly because he knew I was right. It will be on his file for three years. Ask the BBB about the Mother Lode before staying there.

Room Tip: A good room would be one at another place.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jayandirene
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Fantastic! large, clean room in a quiet area. It was great. We had to be towed there and the local town truck driver tried to get us to change hotels and said horrible things about the place. The hotel refuses to rent to some of the locals that are noisy and destructive when they want to party there. Good! We would definitely stay at this place again. The woman at the desk was gracious and concerned.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2017

We checked in and were not impressed with the cleanliness of the room. We noticed some people watching us go into the room. Later that afternoon there was a knock on the door asking if we were someone and they told a story of how they thought we were someone else. The pool was locked late afternoon and the attendant needed to unlock it. I named my concern about the gentleman at our door. He stated that he had someone come and ask him about us, describing us perfectly to him and he gave them our room number. We did not feel comfortable and requested that our room was switched or a refund based on the information that was provided. We were told that we were unreasonable to expect this and she would not refund our money and knew where we lived.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family