“Dishonest owner.”
Review of Mother Lode Motel

Mother Lode Motel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I had to go to the Better Business Bureau over this place. My wife and I were scheduled to stay there in May, but one of the people we were going to visit died. I asked for my deposit back, but the owner said they had a one-week cancellation policy and I had only given them four days. I told him I would take him to small claims court and he said "make my day." Small Claims court people told me it was hard to collect. So I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, explaining what had happened. They forwarded my complaint to him for a response. After a month, he had not responded, clearly because he knew I was right. It will be on his file for three years. Ask the BBB about the Mother Lode before staying there.

Room Tip: A good room would be one at another place.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Fantastic! large, clean room in a quiet area. It was great. We had to be towed there and the local town truck driver tried to get us to change hotels and said horrible things about the place. The hotel refuses to rent to some of the locals that are noisy and destructive when they want to party there. Good! We would definitely stay at this place again. The woman at the desk was gracious and concerned.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2017

We checked in and were not impressed with the cleanliness of the room. We noticed some people watching us go into the room. Later that afternoon there was a knock on the door asking if we were someone and they told a story of how they thought we were someone else. The pool was locked late afternoon and the attendant needed to unlock it. I named my concern about the gentleman at our door. He stated that he had someone come and ask him about us, describing us perfectly to him and he gave them our room number. We did not feel comfortable and requested that our room was switched or a refund based on the information that was provided. We were told that we were unreasonable to expect this and she would not refund our money and knew where we lived.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank tscherck
Reviewed 1 April 2017

A basic motel offering simple accommodation, but we were pleasantly surprised by how clean and comfortable or room was. We stayed in room 4 which had clearly been recently refurbished; bathroom fixtures were new and clean. Comfy beds and nice bedding too. Handy location for local shops and good places just a mile away down Broadway, and historic Placerville a short distance away too. Unlike other comments about the owners being rude, they were both very pleasant and polite at check in and check out. My only criticism is that despite being given instructions to access the wifi, it didn't work.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Jane P
Reviewed 18 November 2016

I pre-payed through Expedia, never even checked in, and was denied a credit by the owner. She didn't like smokers. She even told me that she preferred I didn't stay the night (she has my money) after I told her that I was uncomfortable wondering out into the night to the middle of the parking lot to smoke. I am up at 2am sometimes. It's not safe there. There is nothing on any of the travel websites to indicate it is a strictly NO SMOKING PROPERTY. I had a very distasteful experience with the owner. She was nasty.

I am still trying to get my money back from Expedia. American Express won't help either. My card is French. They operate by European law and don't offer the same assistance.

Room Tip: This motel is one big fat mistake!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placerville
3.8 km away
1.4 km away
National 9 Inn
National 9 Inn
#3 of 5 in Placerville

Been to Mother Lode Motel? Share your experiences!