1,414 results
All reviews ocean view waffles ceiling fan the cliff gas fire beach access small pool hard boiled eggs bottle of champagne hot tub breakfast was included waffle maker breakfast room watch the sunset hear the waves stayed longer great view
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is a nice 3 star hotel, generally priced quite fairly but there are some things you should know. The beach facing rooms at the ground level are (for me) the only room I would stay in. The upstairs rooms have ocean view, but no balcony, so you don't have the added space of a porch to sit out on. On the ground floor on the ocean facing side, you have a small patio with 2 chairs and a little table, so you can sit out and enjoy the sound of the waves crashing and the smell of the sea. If I couldn't get one of those rooms, I would not want to stay at this hotel. They do come at a higher price, of course. The rooms are not air-conditioned and the ceiling fans don't turn fast enough to move any air. They (if they have them available) will provide a fan for your room, but those don't seem to work that well either. It usually cools off at night, so we were never too hot, but if it were exceptionally warm, it would likely be uncomfortable. They need to get better movement on their ceiling fans. The staff at the front desk are sort of ho hum. They could use some training on how to make folks feel more welcome. It sort of feels as though they are just going through the motions. We are a same gender couple, so maybe that freaked them out. I don't know. It was our 10th wedding anniversary trip, and they were told that when we booked, but there was no effort to do anything special for us, though we were very pleased to have gotten the room we requested. The fire pots out front are great and we LOVE sitting by the fence in the morning and evening in the Adirondack chairs. We've stayed here two years in a row and we see whales, dolphins, sea lions, and of course, birds galore. This year I brought binoculars to enhance our views of the wildlife. The other thing that is a good deal at this hotel is that they include a continental breakfast. It is a nice offering, but I would say they could upgrade the breakfast for very little cost and make it a little nicer. The only real protein they offer are hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese. Note, there are always a lot of families with children and if you are like me, kids who touch everything and buffets sort of gross me out, but it is nice if you want to save the money of a breakfast out. The pool at the hotel is small. Access to the beach requires a walk through the yard of the property next door and LOTS of stairs to come back up, but we don't mind that part. You can walk all the way to Pismo Pier and town from the beach which is nice. If you want a clean place to stay with ocean views, beach access and basic amenities, this is a good option. Not luxury by any means.

Room Tip: I recommend ocean facing ground floor.
1  Thank Burrdiegal
Wander790855, General Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Burrdiegal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the full ocean view and private patio from your room.

Please give us a call whenever you are ready to return!

Kayla Stearns

Reviewed 10 October 2018

I would stay here again. The room, overall, was nice. Beds were very comfortable. We upgraded at check-in to an ocean view room. It was worth it. Great view and it felt private. We had a bottom floor room at the farthest side to the south. Only complaint: the bathroom was dirty. Hair in the shower, dirty door and a window that hadn't been cleaned in over a year. I hope for better next time. The hotel is conveniently located, easy to find and has access to the beach. Access is by about 5 flights of stairs, but not too bad.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Cottage Inn in Pismo Beach is excellent. The rooms are fabulous, relaxing by the firepits and listening to the ocean is so tranquil, Jared is always helpful and meets all our needs.
We love taking our friends and family there, they have the best of times there.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2018

When we arrived, there was a happy birthday sign in the lobby for my husband which I thought was really thoughtful! They also had cookies at the check-in desk and coffee/tea nearby. There was a note in our room to come back to the front desk for a bottle of champagne which we immediately did but they were out of champagne so we were given a bottle of wine. That's quite a nice welcome.We stayed in the bottom level ocean-view room, 1 king bed. The room is decent sized with a fireplace in the room. I also liked that the room opens up to the ocean. The bathroom also has a shower and tub combo. We kept our windows open both nights to fall asleep to the pounding surf. One bad thing was that our room had ants on the walls and the bathrooms so I just tried my best to wipe them up every time I saw them. I did not complain to the front desk because I didn't want them to come spray insect spray in my room. I also did not notice them until we were going to sleep the first night and I didn't want to move rooms. The bed was really bad on my back so I called and asked them to bring another comforter that I could place under the sheet so I could sleep on a softer mattress. It took them a while to bring it but they finally did and it seemed to help. The maid helped me put it on the bed when she came to clean the room. One other thing was the fact that the fire-pits are close to the room so at night if you are trying to go to sleep and people are at the fire-pits yelling and laughing loud, good luck. We shut the windows and they were still really loud. I think the management should come by every so often to check on that as I couldn't fall asleep until the people decided to leave. I don't even know if they were staying at the Cottage Inn. The rooms also do not have air conditioning so it was pretty hot with the door and windows closed because of the noise from the people by the fire-pit. I was able to open the windows after the fire-pit people left and we once again had a nice breeze in the room and sound of the surf which was great. Also, I should let you know that we heard someone walking really loud on top of us late at night and early in the morning so you may want to get a room on the top floor. Overall, I would say this was a good hotel and close enough to walk to the pier and restaurants. I would highly recommend visiting the Avila Farm which is 4 miles from hotel. It was super fun. There might be other hotels with air conditioning close by though so if you are one who likes a cold room, you might want to go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor
Reviewed 6 October 2018

We only spent one but it was magical. The check in was quick and the clerk was nice and friendly. The room was lovely, clean and had a patio with a view of the ocean. It
is very quaint. We loved hearing the waves crashing just outside our door.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view