“Good coffee but that was all”
Review of Downtown Local

Downtown Local
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Pescadero
Reviewed 4 March 2018

I hadn’t read any reviews before going in. I hadn’t anticipated stopping in town, but decided to stop at coffee shop to get a takeaway to take to the beach. On the coffee I found was excellent. Sadly i will have to agree with other reviews I just read. . Staff just weren’t interested, almost like they had been forced to work on their day off or just had an argument prior to me arriving. The cafe is a delightful mix of eclectic retro goods, there was a selection of pastries to choose. I liked 4he look of some small fancies, so I enquired as to what they were. Uninterestedly I was told marinated cherry tarts (I think he said tarts) well I’m glad he told me, as they tasted of absolutely nothing, and they weren’t cheap. I enjoy supporting indepentant shops, but sadly I wouldn’t be going back.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

The cafe is part curio / part memorabilia shop/museum, and part cafe, which creates a very cool vibe. There's even a "cinema" (I think it can maybe hold 3 people) playing various nostalgia black and white stuff when I was there.
All the museum bits are for sale, and it's not really kitschy stuff so much as it's all one-of antique shop / collectors' items sort of stuff (they had an original single ripped out page from the New Yorker of the ad that VW sued and got the magazine to pull their copies, the one referencing Ted Kennedy's crash.
It makes for interesting browsing and conversation over coffee. If I were driving (I was bicycle touring) I probably would have bought something there for a souvenir.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

I was expecting breakfast food (like eggs) but no. I guess I misunderstood when I see a 'chicken' on one of its doors. Coffee was spelled out clearly on the other. Coffee is good. Enjoyed it in the quiet of the morning without a lot of people already in the shop. Chatted with a local. Good thing we purchased a loaf of the artichoke bread the evening and had some leftover because we didn't want to have another breakfast at Duarte's. It was a funky shop with old and throwback stuff. Pricey. Fun to browse.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

The first time I stopped by this place I thought "Oh! How cool!" But, then I went inside...

The staff is super unfriendly (as mentioned in other posts, and I am basing that off of interactions with 5+ different staff members over the past year). Also, everything is over priced, particularly the stuff they sell in the vintage shop located within the coffee shop. For example, a vintage t-shirt for $99 or a mason jar with old lightbulbs in it for $42.

Pescadero is generally such a quaint, friendly little town so this random hipster snobbery stands out a lot (to me). If you need a cup of coffee go to the deli down the street and save yourself the price gouge + rudeness.

1  Thank Stephanie G
Reviewed 14 May 2017

This is probably the best coffee in town, but if you are exhilarated by the beauty around you and feel moved to say something about it to the person serving you, don't expect them to crack a smile or say much. I do stop here some for the coffee, but generally prefer the automatic machine at the grocery as they are friendlier.

1  Thank Wanderdogs