“Destination dinner”

Cuisines: American, Deli, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2018

If you are looking for a road house that serves great food, this is your place. It is unique and the food is very high quality--if a little on the expensive side. The warm sourdough bread that they serve is a revelation. The fresh fish specials are always very good. The cioppino is full of fresh dungeness crab, and worth every cent! Make Reservations!!

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Our first impression of Duarte’s wasn’t a good one. There is no way in the world we would have EVER stopped there on our own. What a dumpy old taverns it was--from the outside, anyway.

That said, we were stunned to have a delicious lunch. My husband had their “ultimate half-and-half,” which was cream of artichoke and cream of chili soup (the chili soup was a fancy design on top of the artichoke soup) and an artichoke and chili quiche. I had the cream of artichoke soup and a delicious garden salad that contained the whole garden. Their bread was to die for. For dessert, he had olallieberry pie and I had pear pie. Both were great.

It was very crowded when we ate, but there was definitely a convivial attitude, and we ended up talking with people at other tables and with those who were seated at the large table with us. All in all, it was a delightful experience.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We stopped by after a visit to Ano Nuevo park following a recommendation. The history of the place is set out on the menu and as it was a little later in the afternoon we had no trouble getting a table for a late lunch. Service was fast and efficient and our orders came quickly. I had the artichoke soup which was as good as the recommendation and the fish sandwich and salad was great. The home made tartare sauce certainly made the dish. I was sorely tempted by the list of pies on the dessert menu so I ordered one for take out. We had a really nice meal in the tavern with great service.

I am so glad I plumped for the berry pie (a coastal berry I was not familiar with - a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry) - I tried it in the car after a walk down the main road and it was fabulous! A two inch high generous slice of pie crammed with berries with a really thin coat of pastry. I just had to go back into the restaurant and tell our waitress it was the best pie I have ever tasted!!

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I liked to visit Pescadero cemetery. It's on a green sloping hill with trees that match with the feel of that sweet, ancient cemetery. The cemetery seems out of our time frame and to step into its domain is to be carried back in time. After a half hour of exploring the grounds of the cemetery, I was hungry. We then had lunch at Duarte's Tavern. It was a busy place at lunch, but still that old town, lay back feeling isn't absent in the restaurant. I had a seafood sandwich. It was delicious. The service was rugged and unpolished, but what would you expect of a small town? The server was nice and friendly and the dessert was delicious also. I would visit that charming cemetery again, and I would get hungry, and Duarte's would be the ideal place to stop for lunch.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

My husband and I ate here during a trip down the coast. When we first popped by, there was a large crowd and a waiting list. We decided to come back after checking in to our B&B. When we got back, the crowd had thinned out and we were seated right away. My husband ordered the special of the day--Lobster Ravioli. It was heavenly & rich. I had the deep fried Calamari. Nicely crunchy, flavorful and not tough. The side of a steamed artichoke was perfect--it did not need any kind of dipping sauce at all. We were seated just outside the kitchen so we could see all the plates come and go. Everything looked wonderful. A bit expensive, but it was a celebratory weekend!