“Japanese w Flair in Pasadena ...”
Review of Tokyo Wako

Tokyo Wako
Ranked #215 of 783 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 April 2016

Friends told us about Tokyo Wako so we made a point of stopping in for dinner while in Pasadena, and so glad that we did! Huge restaurant well designed with Japanese theme, lots of Shoji Windows and huge, yet intimate, areas for the teppan grills & overhead stainless steel vents. We joined others for the 8 seats around the grill & our chef ( Mr. Wako #1) did his culinary magic to our delight - onion volcano w fire & smoke, shrimps, scallops, chicken & steak all artfully prepared in front of us & served hot. Great food, full bar & a fun memorable experience! You'll definitely enjoy. ...

2  Thank David B L

Reviewed 23 April 2016 via mobile

We sat with a group of Cantonese speaking family and the chef happened to speak Cantonese. My friend and another couple at the same table didn't understand Cantonese at all, the entire time the chief was only talking in Cantonese with that family and completely ignored the rest of us. I understand Cantonese and heard him tell that Chinese family that he cooked better then his coworkers and the food they cooked didn't have flavor, and he also reminded the man how he should tip separately so that he could get a bigger share. And sure enough when that gentleman paid he asked to tip the cook separately on the check. Probably because he was distracted by talking, the medium steak I had was more than well done and my friend's well done steak was way overcooked. I ate at other Tokyo Wako and I was happy, so I think it's only the management at this one because other staff was not friendly here either. Definitely not coming back.

Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

The family celebrated another birthday at TOKYO WAKO in Pasadena this week.

Like the other 2 dozen times we have dined there - every single staff member from the greeting hostess to the bus person was very pleasant and as or more knowledgeable as each of their job requires

We always enjoy the Tepan cooking- sitting around the oblong tables with the chef right in front of us, cooking and entertaining us all at the gas heated cooking table / grill. If our party is large enough we usually get a private room.
And the fun birthday dress / hat and wig make memorable photos

These chefs artistically use their knives, chefs' hats, condiments containers, etc -- whatever-- to put on a great show which is doubly appreciated by the youngsters

The prices are not super low- but food quality good and entire experience always fun -- and the reason everyone looks forward to returning.

Reviewed 20 February 2016

We ordered some takeout sushi from here, to bring to friends who could not leave a show at the conference center. It was packaged up nicely and put in a nice gift-like carrying bag with chopsticks,etc. Fast service at the front desk, nice presentation, big space with lots of open tables on a Friday lunch hour.

Reviewed 19 February 2016

I wanted light and healthy and sushi for dinner, so I came here as Tokyo Wako is a short walk from my hotel. I sat at the sushi bar, where the chefs were more interested in their conversation with each other and therefore perfunctory in their service. The waiter lauded the salad, but I thought it overdressed and underwhelming. No Toro available, so why have it on the menu? The albacore and mackerel nigiri were good, but nothing special, and I did like my California roll. The restaurant was not crowded for a Thursday night, and so that should've been a clue the food and service doesn't draw loyalty. If it weren't for the convenience, I would've gone to the sushi deli at a grocery store as the teppanyaki experience wasn't my thing.