“Very Good Japanese Fondue”
Review of Tokyo Shabu Shabu

Tokyo Shabu Shabu
Ranked #260 of 783 Restaurants in Pasadena
Reviewed 16 March 2016

Very nice restaurant for Shabu Shabu. Very simple, low key setup. Descent prices for quality of food. Service is quick and nice. I loved it.
If you don't know what Shabu Shabu is, it is a Japanese fondue. With a lot of vegetables on the side (chinese cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, sea weed, tofu...) and also noodles (udon, egg noddles...), the broth is usually plain water (with sea weed at the bottom). You can flavor the water as you wish by dumping the vegetables in it or ask for an optional flavor like I did (Pork Miso). The broth is literally boiling in front of you. You have a selection of meat to dump in it! I recommend the beef for three reasons: more flavorful, cooks way faster and very low risk if undercooked. You can choose chicken but it takes more time to cook and you don't want to end up with a piece of raw chicken in your mouth. Not very pleasant. So I recommend the beef rib eye. The waiters are really nice. You can start ordering a 6-oz meet order and if you are still hungry, you can "upgrade" to the larger size. They just give you the difference in weight. It comes with sauces on the side like ponzu. You have condiments available to you: minced garlic, green onions, minced radish, sesame oil. I personally recommend the minced garlic in the ponzu topped up with the green onions and a splash of sesame oil (spicy). That was delicious.
They have a reward card program and you get you card stamped for each order.
If you never tried a Japanese Fondue... this place is a good way to start.

Reviewed 22 January 2016

My first Shabu Shabu experience with a group who knew all about it, so I was guided along. Shaba Shabu means "swish swish" in Japanese and that is exactly what I did with my vegetables, noodles, tofu, and beef slices. I swished it all in boiling water. (I started simple but you can order flavored broth instead of water.) Google Shabu Shabu to learn more.

Tokyo Shabu Shabu served us marbled, thinly sliced, tender Kobe short rib and chuck beef. It was very good and cooked evenly and quickly. The vegetables were fresh and were served with tofu, udon noodles, glass noodles and steamed white rice. Once I got the hang of cooking things and "tending my pot", I had a blast eating healthy, good tasting food.

The service was excellent and our server had excellent advice for us. The restaurant was very clean. I recommend reservations.

Reviewed 22 January 2016 via mobile

First time to a place like this. A twist from a regular ramen place. Your choice of soup, different kinds of meat (including seafood), and vegetables! Not bad, as long as you have an idea what the combination will taste like! The last we made was a combination of beef, pork & lamb with no vegetables in a spicy miso broth. A little pricey but good service. Friendly staff but prepare to wait. Happy hour & specials are available. Our server even gave us tip to save a little money. Would like to try same style of dining, maybe in a different locale for comparison. Hooked definitely!

Reviewed 23 December 2015

Great hot pot place for a cold Californian winter !
Nice and modern setting with white marble at the counter or at the table of 4. Good choice of appetizers and meat (cut on premise) and seasoning for the hot pot soup. We tried the spicy miso that was good and really add to the taste. You can then serve the soup with the ramen as side dish. We had a friendly service... but the killer is the waiting list system ...
A reservation system would be very appreciated .. as the waiting time can be very long !

Reviewed 19 November 2015

It was a cold day so I was craving Shabu Shabu. We went to our favorite Shabu Shabu restaurant and once again it hit the spot. The service however was on the slower side than usual. Regardless the other time we've been here it has been good food, good service. I will come back again and again. Love this place especially during happy hour specials.