“Best Bento”
Review of Maison Akira

Maison Akira
Reserve with OpenTable
Maison Akira is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 715 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: French, Japanese
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: El Molino
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I don't usually bother to bring a camera to restaurants, but I was wishing I had it with me when I got the work of art that is the lunch special bento box at Maison Akira. A treasure chest packed with various gourmet goodies all for about 20 bucks! Wish we had something like this where I live! And it tasted as good as it looked. My only complaint was that everything was a bit undersalted. More charitably, one could also call the flavors "subtle," but I did find myself reaching for the salt shaker.

There are newer reviews for Maison Akira

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Really delicious food with unusual ingredients and preparation. The fish was perfectly prepared -- crispy on the outside but moist inside, yet fully cooked. Amazing appetizer: oyster flan with sea urchin sauce -- excellent. Mostly excellent service (the guy who brought the food and cleared could have been better).

Reviewed 22 February 2012

A little fusty decor, but food was excellent as was the extensive wine list. Service was attentive. I was particularly impressed by our waitress who was clearly very pregnant. She actually told us she was a few days overdue! Well that didn't faze her--she carried a full complement of dishes, opened and served wine like the pro she clearly is, and was charming throughout the meal. Brava to her and the child, who I hope has safely arrived by now.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

The cuisine at Maison Akira, as you might expect from its name, is not a fusion of French culinary tradition with Japan's. The food is prepared with impeccable French technique, and only some of the ingredients come from Japan's culinary tradition.

The old Guide Kleber would have given Maison Akira one star out of a possible four. In those days, I dined quite well at restaurants with only one Kleber star and never felt sorry for myself for not dining at three or four star restaurants everyday while traveling through France.

Two of us dined at Maison Akira on a Friday night. They accepted our reservation on Thursday afternoon. The restaurant wasn't crowded when we arrived at six. When we arrived, we found a German couple who were ordering dinner and a bottle of wine. Later that evening, one of those diners pointed out to the waiter that he had omitted the bottle of wine from the check. That same waiter was also ours, and he spent a lot of time looking at one of us although one of us didn't notice his ogling.

We noticed as the evening progressed that most diners who arrived after us were very young Japanese or maybe Japanese American couples. We both smiled at the abundant puppy love.

One of us no longer owns any formal garments, not even a shirt with a collar or a dressy jacket, and certainly not a tie. A long sleeve knit shirt and slacks were fine although the young couples were dressed very smartly.

Not long after we sat down, a basket with warm rolls made with high gluten wheat flour arrived with butter that was too cold. The rolls looked like miniature baguettes although they had the texture and density of dinner rolls. It was very good, plain, unsweetened bread, and for one of us, that was a complete surprise for southern California.

We spent a long time choosing what to order because there were so many different dishes that we wanted to try. Finally, we chose the easy way out and ordered the Epicurean menu with wine pairings.

Midway through dinner, when I asked about a missing set of wine glasses, our waiter told us that he thought that only one of us ordered wine although he served us both champagne. That was our waiter's first demerit. The one of us who was served wine got only two glasses of wine instead of the three that the menu advertised. Maybe he held back one glass of wine to compensate for the "extra" glass of champagne. We might have had two meals paired with wine, but one of us was upset enough to not want to have to catch up in a hurry after the courses had already been served and eaten.

After we finished our meal, my friend told me that on a recommendation from another friend, we should have had the ten course omakase dinner. It would have been nice to know that ahead of time, and because the food at Maison Akira was good enough, we may return to order the omakase. Nevertheless, our enjoyment of the meal that we ordered was marred by our waiter's inept amateurishness.

In addition to our meal, we also ordered a sautéed Scottish salmon to go. That was apparently a problem for our waiter because he told us to remind him later during the meal when he served us desert. That was our waiter's second demerit because he's there to ensure our enjoyment of our meals instead of merely taking orders and delivering food to our table.

After all, Maison Akira is a very good French restaurant, and in France, waiters serve diners by anticipating their needs. For example, waiters in top flight restaurants over there refill your wine glass not immediately after you drain it but just before you are ready to take another sip. Our waiter didn't have even one lonely clue for how to do that kind of job.

Our waiter didn't have to be reminded of the sautéed salmon to go, and with our check, he brought a bag with the salmon.

The amuse-bouche was very tasty, but neither one of us could identify what it was. That was the start of a performance of culinary magic.

One of us had the oyster flan in sea urchin beurre blanc; the other had the grilled duck foie gras. We traded plates in the middle. I liked them both and had a difficult time choosing a favorite.

Next, we had sorrel soup which was magnificent.

For our next course, one of us chose the grilled miso marinated Chilean sea bass while the other had the catch of the day which was grilled grouper. As we did earlier, we traded plates in the middle. The grouper had a crunchy skin and was my favorite. It was cooked to perfection.

After that, we both had the plum wine and sake granite, and one of us said that it would be nice to have a whole pint instead of the just a chilled vodka shot glass filled only half way up.

For the next course, one of us chose the Angus filet mignon; the other had the venison medallion. One of us doesn't eat venison, but I got to taste the filet nigmon. Although the filet mignon was excellent, the celery root purée that came with the venison was extraordinary.

For desert, one of us had a roasted pear while the other had an apple tart. As we did throughout the meal, we swapped plates in the middle. The appearance of the roasted pear was disappointing because we thought that it would be perhaps whole as poached pears often are. Instead, a half pear was cut into fine slices and drowned in batter which was baked. I would have called that a pear clafoutis. Of the two, the apple tart was my favorite.

The espresso was excellent.

We had several courses, and although each course was small, we felt neither stuffed nor hungry. If you're the kind of person who needs to feel high pressure from the inside after a meal, dine somewhere else because you won't enjoy dining at Maison Akira and won't think that the meal was a "good value."

There is a parking lot next to Maison Akira; do remember to have your ticket stamped at the restaurant's front desk.

1  Thank FastidiousDiner
Reviewed 5 February 2012

You know the brunch is going to be good when the chef/owner mans the carving station himself making sure all the other entrees are kept fresh and replenished. Champagne optional (adds $3 to $36 cost). Everything from the salads, to the sushi, to the hot entrees, to the dessert were excellent. Brunchers demolished the sushi as soon as it came out, so be sure to pounce when you see it refilled. Would love to try Chef Akira's regular offerings some time...