“lunch buffet is great value Tues-Fri”
Review of Choza Mama

Choza Mama
Ranked #223 of 793 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 26 December 2015

This is a great place to try our peruvian food at a very reasonable price. This lunch buffet is am unbelievable value at $11.99. The food is high quality. The staff is friendly. They even brought us sodas (included in the buffet price). The owner came by and asked us how the food was. I loved their pasta, soup was spicy and great, the beef brisket like dish was awesome, a warm seafood dish with pasta and delicious sauce was very nice;
ceviche was good and could have been much better with more time in lime juice or thinner slice.

At that price if you find a couple of items you like - that makes it a great deal.

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank ramesh b

Reviewed 29 July 2015

I've been to Peru several times and this is very good Peruvian cuisine, friendly service and nice atmosphere. Husband says Pisco Sours are great, but I always enjoy chicha morada.

Date of visit: March 2015
Reviewed 4 June 2015

If you're in Pasadena and want your fix of Peruvian food, this is the place. I had the camaron saltado and the fish ceviche. Everything was great and tasted good. But I'd drive out to LA or Hollywood area for a more authentic tasting Peruvian.

Date of visit: January 2015
Reviewed 26 May 2015

We were here with a Groupon the first week of May.... The reviews I read were "iffy", but I decided to try this any way:

I was told that as I had a dinner coupon, I would still be able to use it for lunch and order as much food as the value of the Groupon (on the lunch menu), which was not true. We arrived at 2:00 well before dinner service, but we were given the dinner menu w/ higher prices.

When we arrived the restaurant was empty and we had to wait for someone to notice us & serve us.

Drink service was slow, as was food service, however; the food was made fresh to order, and our server was very friendly.

We ordered a salmon atop vegetables. All of this was excellent & fresh. I have n ever tasted such fresh and succulent salmon, nor have I ever had such PERFECTLY cooked vegetables.

My dinner was not the best. I ordered a South American version of Paella, which was overly salty with mushy rice. I did not eat my dinner, I told them to just box it & I'd take it home........

The most amazing thing was, that the owner she tasted the Paella for herself & agreed that it was too salty & I was sent home with a completely new serving w/ less salt & denser rice!

That is good service........

The prices are a tad bit high for dinner........ But the food is very high quality, fresh, & a decent portion.

I do believe we will return.

Date of visit: May 2015
1  Thank Auntie-Nanuuq
Reviewed 31 March 2015

We read about this restaurant, now called Choza 96, when we picked up a copy of the Pasadena Weekly magazine. It had a great review and we really wanted to try something other than Italy, Mexican, Chinese, etc. The decor has been redone and is very nice with one wall having drawings of the lines of Nazca (for those of you familiar with them). I had the chicken milanesa. The dish is beautifully presented. After I added salt to it, which I rarely do, it was fairly tasty but I thought I shouldn't have had to add salt. My partner had a glass which wasn't properly washed. The waitress apologized profusely and said she would tell the dishwashers to do a better job. He also thought his meal was just so-so which was unfortunate because he really likes Peruvian cuisine. We were told by the waitress that the afternoon chefs are new; the evening chefs are great and we should come back to try the evening chefs!!! We ended up with a 10% discount on our check and a free dessert!

Date of visit: March 2015