“Great food, great time”

Nick's on South Lake Avenue
Reserve with OpenTable
Nick's on South Lake Avenue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 749 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$14 - US$38
Description: Nick's is best known for it's Classic American comfort food, crave-able bar snacks, unique cocktails & extensive wine list Founded in Laguna Beach in 2008. There are currently six Nick's locations The Pasadena venue features a lively bar, stunning balcony, private wine room, and an airy garden room - all working harmoniously to combine the warmth and hospitality one would expect of Nick's
Reviewed 16 December 2017

Joined friends for dinner here. The restaurant was packed and very noisy, which made conversation difficult, but the food, cocktails and wine made up for it. One couple recommended several dishes, including the deviled egg appetizer, which were meh to husband and me but others liked it. Breaded asparagus 'fries' was more to my liking. So was the sea bass entree I ordered. Husband loved his mini-steak and sides on his bistro plate, perfect for when you don't want a ton of food (or want room for more than one course). We finished with coffee and shared a dessert. Service was superb; they didn't hassle us when we hung out at the table for a bit longer.

1  Thank wego2places

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Great remodel, wonderful ambience, strong, personal service. Food was excellent. Akin to Houston’s in terms of menu, very reasonable prices. Recommended.

1  Thank USBrits
Reviewed 25 November 2017

We went to Nick's our first time recently, for lunch. My wife's salad was fine, nothing special. My cheeseburger had good components, but it was ridiculously stacked so high it was a mess to eat. Their vaunted permesan crusted asparagus (about 12 spears?) were nice, but asparagus at a buck a spear better be good.

In Pasadena, with the most resto's per capita in the USA, getting average food at fancy prices is a non-starter. I purposely orded a burger as a simple threshold test, and since their mains were so costly.

Nick's space is vast, I think more than 150 seats, explaining the rapid frecent turnover of owners - that's a big room to fill! I suppose someday the space will be broken up for various businesses, until then, whoever runs a resto here had better make it stand apart from the rest if they want our biz.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

Yes, it is a beautiful space and very trendy, but that is about it. We went with another couple who also eat out once or twice a week as we do in the Pasadena area. We both doubted we would come back. This was mid-week and it was about 70% filled at 7:00 PM but service was glacial. With no dessert we finished after 10. I would be more okay with that if the food was special. It was suggested that we order the asparagus fries appetizer as their "specialty" but the breading was tasteless, fell off when you took one bite, and half the stalk was inedibly tough. The rest of the food was just okay but not worthy of the rave reviews others have given this restaurant.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

This is a new restaurant on Lake Avenue that I think is part of a chain. The kitchen is open until 10 on weekdays and until 11 on weekends. They say that even if the kitchen is closed, they won't close the restaurant until the last patron leaves. When we got here at about 9:30 the restaurant was 2/3 full and people were still coming in the door. We didn't have reservations, and didn't need them, but I believe you can reserve a table. We have only been here once, but in our experience the food was excellent, the service was very good, the atmosphere was buzzy, and the price was reasonable. Portions are large. They have a good beer and wine list. The noise level was moderately high, but perfectly acceptable. There are two TVs over the bar, but they are not intrusive. In a part of town where everything seems to shut down early, this is a welcome addition (We had planned to go to the Green Street Restaurant, but their kitchen closes at 9pm).

I had an excellent lentil soup, a special, and the brick chicken, which was also very good. My wife had the California salad which she thought was fabulous, and a flatbread pizza which she thought was only ordinary.

We will certainly go back. The Parkway Grill is better, but further from where we live and twice as expensive (but worth it). This could become a regular for us.