“Lovely staff, Grotty Hotel Room”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff, Grotty Hotel Room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

The staff are really friendly and really very helpful but this is at best a 3 star facility.

It's tired, tired, tired. My room is big in a bad way - - it's not cosy at all, with wobbly rattan furniture (even the desk is bamboo and rattan), a free standing IKEA wardrobe and set of drawers with a small TV on top. Terrible decor, and everything feels dirty. I don't want to touch the carpet or curtains and it was all last decorated by someone with limited taste in the mid 1980s....

But it's the food that stands out as being awful. I'm not sure I've ever had worse hotel food. Limited menu with very few healthy options and after being here a week you will be desperate to eat out.

Overall - great people, helpful team as well as a good shuttle service but Crowne Plaza need to over haul the facility. It's well past it's due date. I shall avoid the hotel in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear BigHappyFamily,

Thank you so much for your feedback and review of our Hotel. My apologies for the room accomodation that you felt was not cozy. You were in a larger size room and I know the room you are referring to by the way you describe it. We have some more furniture to place in that room on order to improve the overall feeling in the room itself. The furniture was actually chosen and selected by our designer who did the refurbish of the Hotel just this last year in 2011. I am very sorry to hear that it did not suit your needs during your visit with us. We will be sure to share this information internally and see what more we can do to make the room more comfortable for future guests. I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding the specifics if you wish, feel free to reach out at your convenience, I have attached my number and email address below. We have a new Chef that we have brought on board recently and we will be addressing your food concerns by doing some menu changes to improve this area, please let me know if there are certain items you'd prefer or what your concerns were specifically so we can get it right for you next time. My aim is to ensure all our guests are well taken care of and catered to, I am sorry that we fell below your expectations of us as we take great pride in our Hotel and will continue to listen to the feedback of our guests and improve the Hotel at every step. Many thanks again for your honest and clear feedback, we will take it into consideration and will share this as a team to look for ways to increase your level of satisfaction with the Cabana.

Many Thanks!
Andrea Murray, General Manager
650.628.0124
andrea@cabanapaloalto.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed here recently for business. While there's a little room for improvement, the Crowne was definitely nicer than the Marriott up the street where I stayed last time.

Pluses: I had a "cabana room" which overlooked the pool. The furnishings, including the bathroom floor and fixtures, were modern and appeared to have been recently installed. The room itself was huge and so was the bathroom. Bed was comfy and bedding and carpet appeared to be very clean. Bathroom floor was made out of an interesting non-slip sandstone. Free wi-fi and HVAC worked well. Room had a large refrigerator for storing leftovers, drinks, etc. Front desk staff that I dealt with (an older gray haired man and a younger Asian man) were very nice and helpful - good check-in and check-out experience. Breakfast was included in my corporate rate and was very extensive, served buffet style and included a wide range of bagels/ pastries/ muffins/ croissants, charcuterie, cheese, crackers,fruit, oatmeal, cereal, juice and smoothie, and several hot items daily such as french toast/ pancakes, bacon/sausage, and potatoes and eggs. Really good breakfast. Lobby and dining areas of hotel were reasonably nice.

Minuses: My room was at the very back of the hotel, which meant to get there from the lobby I had to take elevators up, walk to the back of the building, go outside, another long walk on an outside balcony around several twists/ turns and dark corners to finally get to the room at the back. The walk to/ from the elevator is very, very long. Alternatively, you can park your car way in the back closer to the room, but then there is no elevator so you need to carry luggage up a stairwell, which incidentally had "wet paint" signs on it for part of my stay (and me in business clothes). I know this is a fairly safe area, but as a single female traveler, being in such a remote area of the building wasn't too desirable even though the room was nice on the inside. Some of the surfaces in the room (vanity, TV Cabinet, and a shelf in the tub) were visibly dirty and in need of a scrubbing. The tub shelf had hair from the previous guest. The toilet flushed weakly even though it appeared fairly new; I had to hold the handle down for about 45 seconds or it would back up into the bowl. The shower/ tub control did not work right, meaning that the shower ran all the time even when turned off - I got blasted with water from the shower the first time I tried to turn on the tub spigot. The breakfast service, which was required for coffee and for getting the bill at the end of the meal, was spotty. One time it was fine, but two other times there was a very long wait for the server, including one day when I needed to make three requests over about 15-20 minutes to get a cup of coffee despite the fact that at least three waitresses plus a host were working. Room service menu could also have used a few more choices.

NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

On a quick trip out west I spent 2 nights at the CP hotel. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly, the room provided restful sleep and adequate work space, the wired internet connection (wireless was available, I just didnt use it) was quick and a good location. I have stayed at other hotels up and down El Camino so in comparison, this was better than some and on equal par with others. Only suggestion for room for improvement might be a few more items on the restaurant menu, but other than that, I would stay again.

Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for business in my own room but traveling with a colleague. We did not receive much in the way of special treatment, though I have been a Priority Club member with IHG for some time - a bottle of warm water and a drink voucher for the bar. The check-in process was efficient and we were given poolside rooms, which - had I know they were outdoor access - I might not have taken.

The restaurant was the crowning achievement of this hotel in terms of service. The hostess and servers were all very professional, helpful and engaged. The food was a bit pricey, but definitely worth it. Drinks were strong, which was a relief after much travel.

Rooms were relatively quiet, except for the slamming sound every few minutes from housekeeping putting the bar lock into the doorway of the rooms they were cleaning. Breakfast at this hotel has to be ordered in to the room, but the coffee (and real creamers!) provided were nice.

I used the shuttle service several times during my 3-night stay, and Dennis (daytime driver) was wonderful. The pool area was clean and the conference rooms were packed the whole time I was there; the hotel is obviously doing well with business clientele. The business center was surprisingly spacious, with a functioning printer, internet access and FedEx envelopes available.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its amenities for the price paid, though less expensive options in the area are certainly available.

Room Tip: "Tower" rooms are indoor access only, "poolside" rooms are outside access only.
1 Thank Kate B
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights for business, and was pleased overall with the hotel. It was easy to find, and check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. In fact, the excellent service was the absolute stand-out of my stay. The staff could not have been friendlier or more responsive - I called the front desk because I thought the heater wasn't working, and someone was at my room within minutes, and they were equally as quick in responding to my request for another pack of regular coffee.

I was given a pool-view room, which was nice if a little far from the lobby. The room had a comfortable king-size bed, and a nice lounge chair with ottoman, a flat-screen TV and a desk with chair that I used for work. The bathroom was spacious, and what I liked best besides the full-length mirrors in the closet was that there was tons of counter space around the sink to fit all of my stuff. There was free, fast WiFi in the room, a necessity for business and a plus for leisure visits.

As a Priority member, I was given a bag of two (delicious) cookies, a free drink ticket, and a "sleep well" kit with earplugs, a sleep mask, and lavender linen spray which was a really nice touch.

Overall I had a great stay, and will definitely come back on my next visit to Palo Alto!