All reviews shared bath city hall there is no air conditioning ceiling fan vintage hotel european style stanford university beautiful lobby street parking heart of downtown can't beat the location excellent location modern amenities within walking distance old school enjoyed my stay caltrain station
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Excellent comfortable and location great I've said enough What more could I say? Why do U want more than the best recommendation I can give? Why is there a minimum--I am a guest not giving political speech

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CardinalHotel1924, Guest Relations Manager at Cardinal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Hi there, Geohellis!

What a wonderful review! Thank you for your generous 5-Star praise. There's no better compliment you could bestow upon us than "the best recommendation" you can give; and it means the world to us.

You have to return when the Cardinal Hotel lobby transforms into a winter wonderland. The big roar of the fireplace and our Christmas tree decorations truly is a sight to behold. We hope to see you again soon!

Until Next Time

Reviewed 8 September 2018

the cardinal hotel is located a block south of university avenue in downtown palo alto...and just a short trip to the campus of stanford university...it is a european style hotel...has an old fashioned comfortable lobby....a business center up the stairs from the lobby...with an old style elevator taking you up to your room...some rooms (like the one i had) with the bathroom and shower down the hall....my room was set in the back so it was much quieter than the rooms facing the street...

Room tip: the rooms in the back are quieter than the rooms facing the street....
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
CardinalHotel1924, Guest Relations Manager at Cardinal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2018

Hi there, Maitaiine!

It sounds like you had nothing short of a perfect stay! "The place to stay for a Stanford visit" - is such a wonderful compliment!

Our relationship and close proximity to Stanford University allows us to welcome guests, such as yourself, from all over the world and all walks of life. The vibrancy of our neighborhood & pre-war charm of our hotel is such a welcome change to corporate hotel chains - in our opinion :)

I'm happy the Shared Bath style room was a great fit for you! We also have rooms traditional in style with a Private Bath, but the Shared Bath Option is definitely one of our most popular.

Thank you for awarding us with a 5-Star recommendation. You must come back during the holiday season, the decorations and the fireplace lit up is truly a sight to behold.

We'll See You Again Soon

Reviewed 5 September 2018

The Cardinal provides the best value in Palo Alto. Centrally located The Cardinal provides quick access to all of downtown, great for business or personal travel. easy parking in the City Hall garage across the street, if you have a car buy the city parking pass. Palo Alto parking is a mess of odd rules, color coded zones and aggressive enforcement.Rooms are good sized, always clean and have ample sockets and desk space, full dressers and closets. Pretty big TV's with a solid channel selection, even a sleep timer, somehow this critical feature is missing from many hotels these days. Also reliable internet, I was connecting at 5-8MB down. If there's any deficiency, and this is nitpicking, the complementary bath products are meh.I always pack my own so it doesn't bother me, but you've been warned.Plenty of extra bedding and pillows, quiet overhead fans and a dyson airblade in the closet for summer.The windows actually open and the shutters are effective and in good shape.Steam heating with a radiator in the room can get the temperature up into the 90's in winter if you let it blast away.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CardinalHotel1924, Guest Relations Manager at Cardinal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Greetings Paul,

Thank you so much for your loyalty! There's nothing more rewarding than welcoming back a familiar face. Your review was such a pleasure to share with everyone and we truly appreciate the 5-Star recommendation to the fellow travelling community.

I'm glad you've enjoyed some of our more recent upgrades - from the new TV's, channel selection, sleep timer and the ever reliable wifi internet connection (more exciting additions on the way!). It's guests like you that make implementing these improvements all the more rewarding to us in the long run.

Your sentiments about Palo Alto parking are shared by all :) I too, generally recommend guests park at City Hall and purchase the day pass option at Front Desk, although a good percentage of our guests find they don't need a vehicle at all while here. We're so close to Stanford University, Stanford's free Marguerite shuttle service, Caltrain + walking distance to all the great dining spots. I'll pass along the suggestion about our bath products and we'll take that under advisement! We definitely take feedback from guests to heart.

We look forward to welcoming you back, as always.

Our Very Best

Reviewed 4 September 2018

Loved it. Beautiful lobby. The lobby could be better utilized. I also loved the breakfast offered in the café (Bistro Maxine). I would definitely stay here again the next time I am in Palo Alto, which, unfortunately, isn't often.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CardinalHotel1924, Guest Relations Manager at Cardinal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Greetings, tcbracken

I want to Thank You for sharing your experience with the travelling community and awarding Cardinal Hotel with a 5-Star review!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and loved the breakfast at French Cafe' Bistro Maxine - a taste of Paris in downtown Palo Alto. The lobby is indeed, a beautiful place to welcome guests in from their travels. During the winter especially, the roar of the fireplace juxtaposed with our Christmas tree decorations is particularly inviting.

We look forward to your return, may it be sooner rather than later!

Our Very Best

Reviewed 4 September 2018

You can't beat the location, convenience, and comfort of the Cardinal, my go to destination in Palo Alto.The staff is wonderfully friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and reasonably priced, and the location in downtown Palo Alto --walking distance to countless shops and to Stanford -- cannot be equalled by any other hotel in Palo Alto.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Warm Greetings,

We simply cannot say THANK YOU! enough for such a wonderful 5-Star review! To say that we cannot be equalled by any other hotel in Palo Alto means the world to us - and I share your sentiments :)

It sounds like you left your time in Palo Alto with some wonderful new memories and we are happy to have been a part of that experience. I'm glad you highlighted Cardinal Hotel's "comfort" - I often feel like we are inviting guests to stay in their "home away from home" and we truly enjoy getting to know everyone on a personal note. Your review was shared with the team and everyone was just beaming with gratitude.

We thank you, for making us your first choice of stay for Palo Alto. We'll see you again soon!

All The Best